We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to plan a vacation to see it all w/o sleeping on boat

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
267 reviews
Save Topic
how to plan a vacation to see it all w/o sleeping on boat

Whats the best time of year to go? I get seasick and want to minimize time spent on boat but still want to snorkel extensively and do a lot of hiking and exploring. We want to see everything we can but stay at nice lodging as much as is possible. What would be the best tour for this or is there another way to go about it?

Enchanted Expeditions
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Galapagos a la Carte
Multi-day Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Galapagos Dreams Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Galapagos For You
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to plan a vacation to see it all w/o sleeping on boat

Dear Kod,

you can visit a small set of inner island visitor sites by doing day trips out of Puerto Ayora, on Santa Cruz islands. You'll still end up spending quite a bit of time on a boat (e.g. motoring out to a site, and motoring back - up to 5 hours or more per day). You can do inter-island hopping, and be taken between the three main populated islands on a faster boat (e.g. apx. 3 hours) and from there, do some mostly land based visits.

Seas are at their calmest from Jan - April. I always recommend a live-aboard trip as the best way to see the most of Galapagos - but if seasickness is really a major concern, then the options above are what you would have to consider. A decent travel agent specializing in Galapagos should be able to give you some concrete options.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
2. Re: how to plan a vacation to see it all w/o sleeping on boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2010, 14:55
Ecuador
Level Contributor
155 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to plan a vacation to see it all w/o sleeping on boat

You could start reviewing th hotels tripadvisor.com/… and seing the coments of the previous guest fo find out where you would like to stay

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to plan a vacation to see it all w/o sleeping on boat

You are far more likely to get sick on the day trip boats and even more likely on the inter-island boats than on a cruise boat. However if you are so bad that you are sick all the time then obviously a live-aboard is not practical.

What I would advise if you haven't tried them is get your doctor to prescribe the patches that you wear behind the ear. Try them out on a small boat close to home. If they work for you, it will allow you to do a cruise which is the only way to see most of the galapagos. My guide on the last trip suffered regularly and relies on passengers giving him their spare patches at the end of the cruise which solves the problem for him.

The Galapagos you see island-hopping is complately different to a cruise. There are some islands you can do as day trips that are as good as a cruise (N. Seymour, Plaza, Bartolome) but you spend several hours on a small boat to get there and back in a day with just a couple of hours on land.

The island hopping islands are the populated ones and have much less density of wildlife. You can only get to certain parts of them - mostly not the cruise sites but the towns and agricultural areas. Many people still think it a great experiance though. I stayed 3 weeks on land this year and 1 week cruising and still wanted to stay longer.

Hikes are normally limited length on the cruises but there are more animals and you get to snorkel most days.

You can hike further on Santa Cruz and Isabela. I do advise you take a guide on Santa Cruz though or at least a good GPS device. There are no good maps, its very hot and there are no facilities outside of town. Try Media Luna either by taxi and then hike from there or walk from the nearest town. There is also an easy but long walk from Puerto Ayora to Tortuga bay. You must take loads of water on hikes. You can also take a taxi to los gemelos, have a look around and then if feeling fit, walk back to santa rosa to find a taxi. The only problem is the road is dusty and lots of heavy vehicles plus they fenced off the road so it is not as interesting as it used to be. At los gemelos you will need your passport and hotel details to sign in if your not with a tour.

On Isabela you can hike the road to the wall of tears (get a taxi there and hike back), around the beach and over the long boardwalk to the tortoise breeding center. The volcano has to be with a guide by park rules - this can get muddy but you can also do it by horse.

Hotels depend a lot on your budget - anything from a $20 hostel to $500 a night or rent a house around $400-$600 a week.

Mentioned in this post
Bartolome
Bartolome
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Isabela
Isabela
kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to plan a vacation to see it all w/o sleeping on boat

Thank you for all of you responding. That is what makes trip advisor so great. I have tried the patches and can not tolerate the side effects. It is clear to me now that while the Galapagos Islands are something that I would enjoy immensely, I will not be able to enjoy them enough unless I went on a cruise for at least part of the time. The whole purpose of going is to see all the nature attractions and animals. My conclusion is that this is not a trip that I will enjoy because unless the ocean is super calm, I'll be nauseous a lot of the time.

6. Re: how to plan a vacation to see it all w/o sleeping on boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2010, 05:17