We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the weather in the Galapagos this month(April?)

New York City
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What's the weather in the Galapagos this month(April?)

I'm leaving for an 8 day cruise in about 10 days. Can anyone tell me about the weather? Hot? Humid? I have asthma and am wondering if I should be concerned. How about mosquitoes and other bugs?

I'll also be flying in Quito and sdpending a few days there. I'm looking at trips to Bellavista and Otovalo; Has anyone done either of these? Is it worth spending an overnight at Bellavista? Will humidity be a problem there? Are there lots of insections (mosquitoes, etc) this time of year?

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the weather in the Galapagos this month(April?)

I was in the Galapagos last year at the same time. It was very hot in the 80s to 90s and according to our guides over 100 on at least one day. I don't remember it as being particularly humid, we had no rain while there. Bugs were not really an issue either.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the weather in the Galapagos this month(April?)

That's correct - very warm and very humid in Galapagos. It will make jumping into the ocean a real delight! Insects will be a minor inconvenience. We were in the islands just in February and didn't really need to use repellent except when in town in the evenings.

Bellavista is in the cloud forest - it will be humid, but a lot fresher - bring a fleece. Otavalo will be drier, comfy under the sun, but cool in the evenings.

Have a great trip!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

New York City
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the weather in the Galapagos this month(April?)

I hope the airconditioning on my boat will work! I should have checked more into the weather before I booked this as I'm not very good in very hot and humid weather. I ws hoping you'd write that it is warm but the breezes on the islands keeps it comfortable!

Thanks for the informed words!

New York City
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the weather in the Galapagos this month(April?)

This is encouraging. It sounds like it was hot but not terribly uncomfortable. Am I correct?

And glad to hear not bad with the bugs! Elsewhere I read that that they could be really bad.

Dallas, TX
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the weather in the Galapagos this month(April?)

Just returned from our trip. It was very hot on most days. Also quite humid. Don't worry, it will not ruin your trip, but be prepared. Bring a lot of light weight clothing that will dry quickly, the sun is very strong. Also make sure you bring a hat and yes you will need insect repelant, we used it everyday. And lots of sunscreen.

Our ship had great A/C so while you are on the boat you will be fine.

6. Re: What's the weather in the Galapagos this month(April?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 05:17