We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos from Santiago

California
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Galapagos from Santiago

I am trying to plan a trip to Santiago, Chile from the US and was hoping to "stop by" the Galapagos Islands on the way there or on the way back. Is this at all feasible? How far away are the islands from Santiago? Any airlines that you know of that fly there? Any advice would be great!!

California
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapagos from Santiago

actually, it would have to be on the way back from Santiago to the US that we stop in Galapagos....just to clarify. thanks!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galapagos from Santiago

I found a LAN airlines direct flight from Santiago to Guayaquil in Ecuador which takes about 5 hours. You would then need to stay overnight and take the galapagos flight in the morning about 90 minutes. There may be cheaper routes with stopovers.

The only other route to Galapagos is from Quito but I didn't find any direct flight from Santiago to Quito.

You need to be aware that it costs you $110 to land on the islands, about $400 flight from Ecuador. Also if you are on a short trip, it can be difficult to get the day trips you want to given islands. The best way to see it is with a cruise - best 7 days but 4 and 5 day are available. Land based packages are available but you can only see limited islands if you are not on a cruise - still worth doing though.

How long do you have and do you have any specific interests or must see items ?

California
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galapagos from Santiago

i probably realistically have about 3-4 days but may be able to stretch it to 5 if that is suggested and we really need that time. i would prefer direct flights so that LAN flight is great. does it matter which city i go into (guayaquil or Quito)? what city do I look for to fly into Galapagos after arriving in Guayaquil? When I was researching flights yesterday, I thought that I found a flight direct from Santiago to Galapagos? Is that not possible?

A cruise is not possible as we are flying in to Santiago to pick up our son and that is really the purpose of the trip. He is actually the one who has always dreamed of going to Galapagos and we were hoping to take him there on the way back to the US as a special treat for him. I really have no idea what is involved in the islands. Could you give me a quick layout or summary of what they are like and what the specific islands are that have things to visit? My son is an animal lover, particularly reptiles of any kind, so anything that involves animal encounters would be perfect. Suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

4. Re: Galapagos from Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2010, 07:16