We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Questions

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute Questions

We're leaving for Quito on Friday and I have some kinda dumb last minute questions.

1) I know $20s are the highest denomination generally accepted but can we bring a couple of $50s for Galapagos cruise tips or should everything be $20s or less. Just worried about carrying a wad of cash.

2) Do we pay any airport departure tax flying to Galapagos from Quito and back?

3) What is the current international departure tax? And is it the same for both adults and children? We are headed to Peru after our cruise.

4) Lastly, we have arranged a tour through Happy Gringo to Mitad del Mundo and the Equator Monument, etc. It's a 1/2 day. Normally would have done on our own but we're getting in so late the night before it was easiest this way. Question: do we tip the driver/guide and if so, can anyone give us a rough idea of how much?

Thanks! All advice is much appreciated.

Edited: 29 June 2010, 15:05
Berlin
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Questions

Hi there,

1) $50s for tips are ok.

2) There is no tax for domestic flights. You do however have to pay the INGALA migratory card for $10 USD per person on Quito's airport prior to your flight to Galapagos.

3) The departure tax is $40,80 USD in must be paid on cash and its the same for everyone.

4) Usually $10 USD for a half day guide and $5 for the driver.

Pat

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Questions

Thanks so much. Where do we pay the INGALA and departure taxes? At the counter when we check-in?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Questions

The Ingala card in Quito is purchased from the desk to the left of the x-ray machine. You do this as soon as you arrive at the airport. You should have pre-registered and have the acknowledgement form - if you booked flights through happy gringo, they will give you the confirmation when you pick up tickets as they do it all for you.

After getting the card, you get the baggage you are going to check x-rayed. Then you can checkin.

On departure from Quito, you checkin, then pay the departure tax at the back of the check-in area and take the receipt with your filled in exit card to departures.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Questions

jrbb0309,

These are not dumb questions and you raised some good points that will be helpful to travellers like me who are going travelling to/within Ecuador in a couple of weeks. Indeed, I hadn't even thought about needing a migratory card for travelling around Ecuador. Does this apply for domestic flights to Coca too (start of jungle tour)? Also, what kind of information would I need to put on the INGALA card - do they need the flight details of the Quito-Coca flight? I think I may to follow this up with our tour operator (Yuturi), who has organised our jungle tour and flights for us, and where we will be picking up our tickets when we arrive in Quito.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute Questions

The transit control card from Ingala is just for Galapagos. The information is registered in advance and then presented with your fee to get the card at the airport. You can register online but its not English friendly:

http://tct.ingala.gov.ec

However the agency that books your flight may have done this for you.

The card is designed to prevent illegal immigration to Galapagos

Cambridge
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Minute Questions

Thanks dp for the clarification. Much appreciated.

7. Re: Last Minute Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2010, 06:17