We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aerogal

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Aerogal

I did not have a very pleasant experience with this Airline. My flight was delayed for six hours. All my plans for the day of my arrival had to be changed. If you do decide to travel with this airline, I recommend that you purchase travel insurance that way if something happens at least you are protected. Also take an extra day of vacation time just in case.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aerogal

What a shame. Aerogal has excelent service in Ecuador.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aerogal

Almost any airline can have a long delay sometimes. A lot of travel insurance will not cover you for some causes of delay. I usualy measure an airline by what they do in cases of delay or cancellation.

British airways for example offered a refund or to fly the next day but left me stranded to find my own hotel and would not pay for all of it. United kept us on the aircraft for 3 1/2 hours at the gate with nothing but a cup of water. Continental gave us a room at the Hilton hotel and paid for dinner and offered us any route on any airline back to any airport in the UK. No prizes for guessing who I try to fly with if its possible - shame they are merging with United.

When flying to Galapagos it is always wise to stay a couple of nights in Quito or on the islands before a cruise. That way any delays to you or the luggage will not be a problem. If you book the Galapagos flight with the cruise, all passengers will be delayed the same and the boat will wait.

Bethpage, New York
Level Contributor
235 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aerogal

My husband and daughter flew from Quito to NY through Guayaquil this past week. They had some difficulty communicating with the people who work for the company (in NY and on the aircraft), but the plane itself was quite roomy and the food and beverage service was great. I was quite nervous upon their return since I noticed many delayed flights the day before they left. They were delayed almost 3 hours for their trip to Guayaquil, but the plane to NY did not depart without them and other passengers. I don't believe this would happen on many American airlines. By the way, my daughter and I flew American....delayed two hours and then the flight was cancelled. We were shuttled to the HIlton and given $10 vouchers for lunch and then shuttled back to the airport for another flight. I wasn't happy about the cancellation, but I thought they treated us quite well considering.

Highland, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aerogal

You are completely right to suggest this to people. Aerogal overbooked our flight from JFK to Guayaquil by 50-60 passengers. Even though we arrived three hours early for our flight, we were left standing in the terminal as our plane took off. No one could tell us when they would be able to put us on a flight. As a result, we missed our connection and lost an entire day of our honeymoon, as well as the upgraded accommodations that we had paid for. We have been offered no compensation and no one at the airline is responding to my emails. I would definitely build an extra day into any trip with them in case you have an issue.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aerogal

Sorry for the problems you encountered. It is a very good recommendation to book your international flights to Ecuador so that you arrive at least the day before your trip to the islands, and also to have a day on the mainland afterwards. If you arrive as scheduled, then you get to spend some time appreciating the beauty of mainland Ecuador...and if you get delayed, you still make the necessary connections.

Most cruise companies use only one air provider for all of their passengers, so as a rule of thumb the cruise will wait for delayed passengers.

6. Re: Aerogal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2011, 07:18