We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I crazy to take a diabetic child?

Denver
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Am I crazy to take a diabetic child?

We are planning a December family trip and have a 10 year old with diabetes. We have been on large carribbean cruises, and short boat trips without trouble, but all the seasick talk is making me nervous and am now considering a dreaded land based trip, perhaps Red Mangrove Darwin Triangle plus some extra days.

My fearless husband thinks we should be on a 16pass catamaran or ship, I like the comfort of having a medical room on the biggies like Explorer or Legend.

Has anyone here cruised with diabetes and have any suggestions? Any general sense of how often kids really suffer from severe sea sickness on these trips?

Should we just get a movie and go somewhere else?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I crazy to take a diabetic child?

I think this is something you should discuss with your doctor.

What you should know is that you will be a long way from medical care. It could take 10 hours to get a boat back to help from the far islands after the captain has decided to do it. There are no helicopters to call for emergency evacuation.

On land based, you are very likely to be sick on the very small boats that are used between islands but the transfer time is around 2 hours only. However I don't think there is much medical help except on Santa Cruz and probably San Cristobal. Floreana has very few people on it and not even a single shop. Not sure about Isabela but it has an airstrip so in theory could be minutes from help if you can get a plane to take you.

You would need to check exactly what facilities are available on the larger cruise boats. I am no expert but I would think you need at least the ability to set up a drip. My guess is the major danger is not being able to absorb glucose due to continual sickness. This was the problem in my friends friends case although that was in Antactica not Galapagos.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I crazy to take a diabetic child?

Perhaps you could directly contact the larger ships to see what facilities, exactly, they offer. Sometimes the smaller ships are docked/traveling close to the larger ships, and they will offer their services in emergency situations to passengers from other vessels. (A cut forehead of a fellow traveler while snorkeling confirms this!). But they would not constantly be nearby at all times. As stated above, there is a small hospital on San Cristobal and Santa Cruz, but the flights to the main land only take off in the mornings should you need help from mainland Ecuador, in the worst case scenario. Good luck in your research.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I crazy to take a diabetic child?

www.mdtravelhealth.com Special Needs travelling with children

review health risks for Ecuador there are lots get clearance from

your pediatrician...big ships with medical officers/clinics like

Celebrity Xpedition www.cruisecritic.com

www.priceline.com good prices on this GREAT upscale ship sometimes

Legend ok if budget www.gotmyfare.com

Lots of food water health risk with your other options would skip those...

Have fun,

Denver
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I crazy to take a diabetic child?

Thanks for the responses and the mdtravel link, it was very helpful.

Based on what I've found, the Explorer II has a 24/7 clinic onboard (and fees are included), I'm seeing different things about the Legend, so will do more investigating. i would feel much better if they had the capacity to start an IV and would get travel and medical evacuation insurance.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I crazy to take a diabetic child?

Just returned after trip on "Explorer 2" great boat and staff.

Can confirm that they had full time doctor on boat, but any fees were not included.

There was a fee for doctor attendance and also in the extreme cases an evacuation fee.

If I were you I would contact them here :-

galapagosexplorer.com/contactenos-en/contact…

just to clarify.

But as I have already said the boat & crew are great, we had one minor accident in our group whilst on a trip and the doctor was contacted by radio to be available on our return.

6. Re: Am I crazy to take a diabetic child?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2011, 06:22