We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos Tours

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
Galapagos Tours

I am looking to just fly to the Galapagos airport and then stay at a hotel and find a tour guide there. I am looking to only stay in the Galapagos for 1 night. Is this possible to do?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapagos Tours

I wouldn´t suggest staying in the Galapagos Islands for just one night! I always recommend a week minimum if possible! By the time your flight arrives, it is late morning, and the flights out the following day are early morning. If you stay in Puerto Ayora, there is the bus-ferry-bus transfer from the airport to think about as well. (approx. 1 1/2 hrs. travel time). Most shops and tour agents are closed between 1 and 3 pm for siesta, as well. Galapagos is such a wondrous place, that it really merits trips as long as your itinerary (and wallet!) can afford. The cost of getting from mainland Ecuador as well as the 100$ park entrance fee is pricey for just one night!

2. Re: Galapagos Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 October 2010, 12:05
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galapagos Tours

May be try to stay there for at least 2 nights. The transfer from Baltra airport-to Puerto Ayora city in Santa Cruz takes more than one hour.

To avoid time waist on transfer you should fly into San Cristobal island (Puerto Baquerizo Moreno city) where the transfer time takes 1 minute.

Interesting sights for visit here are Kicker Rock (Leon Dormido), Tijeretas point, and El Junco Lake.

Saludos,

Dennis Yepes

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galapagos Tours

I too dont think it is worth it for a single day. However if you really must then I would fly to Baltra, get the free airport bus to Itabaca canal and then take the short ferry to Santa Cruz. Now get a taxi and ask to be taken directly to los gemelos - these are sunken craters and you can normally go without a guide if you show your passport to the guard. Ask the taxi driver to wait for you. Look out for finches, galapagos doves, flycatchers. There is one crater on each side of the road - the guard will show you the route to the other side.

Next ask the driver to take you to the tortoises (just say Tortuga and they will know where to take you). Again get the driver to wait.

You could also ask to go to the lava tunnels.

Finally you can ask to go to your hotel. After checking in, you can have a snack and then walk or get taxi to the Charles Darwin researcg center which is like a zoo for Galapagos animals - especially tortoises and iguanas. You can also walk the main street from there through town to the public dock passing pelican bay where the fishermen cut up fish and teh pelicans wait for scraps.

You would have to leave early morning by taxi for the airport about 3 hours before your flight.

By starting your tour from the airport, you work your way from the highlands to town while seeing the sights without wasting time on the transfer. Since you have the taxi with you, there is no probem with luggage and no wait for checkin time.

It is important to have the taxi wait because its difficult to obtain one in the remote locations - and you need somewhere to store your luggage.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galapagos Tours

Possible but not ideal more time would be better

find some cheap flights web specials here

www.aerogal.com.ec

www.casanaturahotel.com

can set up short packages for you

if needed..have fun,

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galapagos Tours

Dear Question,

frankly, I would say don't bother. The trouble (and cost - likely at least US$700 when factoring everything it) flying all the way there, even if you are already in Ecuador, for one, even 2 nights, is not worth it. You won't get close to seeing / feeling what Galapagos has to offer. You'll be able to say "I've been to Galapagos", but not "I've seen and felt what Galapagos is about". Kind of like saying I've been to New York, when in fact, all you did was transfer from a flight landing at La Guarida to a flight leaving from John F Kennedy airports...

Your call!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

7. Re: Galapagos Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 05:17