We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapogas Islands

Toronto
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Galapogas Islands

If anyone has some up-to-date information about the best cruiseships to take (other than Celebrity) in the area and any other helpful information. My husband and I are planning to take our grandchildren ages 8 and 12 with us and hope they will be able to share a stateroom with us. Or does anyone think it is better to stay on the mainland and take day tours. Which islands are the best to see? Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Myrna

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapogas Islands

The only ship I know of that has quad cabins is the Santa Cruz. Most cabins are twins/doubles and a few are triples.

All the boats are licensed for a specific number of passengers so even if you could arrange extra beds, it would likely cost as much as 2 cabins. The other problem is that the cabins tend to be very small with not much room to move.

My favourite isands would be Espanola, Genovesa, fernandina and Bartolome. Very few boats visit all of these in a single week (and probably none from 2012).

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galapogas Islands

I know of someone who traveled recently on one of the Eric/Letty/Flamingo family of boats w/boys about the same age as your grandchildren, they had a wonderful trip. If you are lucky, they will see your post and give you some ideas of what to expect.

Do a search of these names and you'll find some starting information.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galapogas Islands

I know the E/L/F ships have some family-oriented cruises next summer. Their itineraries are fantastic. I booked with CNH tours, who were very helpful helping me find the best cruise for my trip next summer.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galapogas Islands

Dear Etta,

I did a bit of research - this is an interesting question, and there likely many people in your situation, wanting interconnecting cabins. Notwithstanding the comment above on the Santa Cruz, I can confirm that the Explorer has connecting suites located at the Magellan deck. These are classic suites with portholes.

I took my 7 and 10 year olds to Galapagos last February on the 20 passenger Letty. They were just across the hall from us. It was fun, they felt "grown up" having their own room. There were no problems.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

New Orleans
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Galapogas Islands

La Pinta also has interconnecting cabins and is a wonderful ship.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galapogas Islands

HOw wonderful to get to spend an amazing experience with your grandchildren! You will all have a wonderful time. The Legend also has connecting cabins that could accommodate you all. Good luck!

7. Re: Galapogas Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2011, 05:17