We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Galapagos Cruise Plans

Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Post Galapagos Cruise Plans

Is it a bad idea to schedule an evening flight out of Quito on the same day a tour ends? Should I wait a day in case of any potential issues like Balta-Quito delays or late cruise? Please respond ASAP as I want to purchase my air fare asap!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post Galapagos Cruise Plans

Dear Blackcreek,

flights are pretty regular out of Galapagos. It will come down to your personal comfort level. I would be very comfortable doing so if, for instance, there were at least 3 hours between my scheduled arrival time in Quito, and my departure time.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post Galapagos Cruise Plans

I have never known a cruise to be late - they run like clockwork and the next cruise leaves just hours later. Flights have been known to be late but if your connecting flight is evening then there shouldn't be any problem.

Edited: 11 December 2010, 10:58
Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Post Galapagos Cruise Plans

Thanks. I am a little confused, maybe you can explain further. I think your response assumes I will fly into Quito airport from Balta and then I will wait there for my international flight home. However, aren't I expected to leave some of my luggage behind in Quito when I go on the cruise? And if that is the case, how would I retrieve? Arrange with my hotel to send it to the airport? That sounds dicey. Or will the tour operator assist with this? Or maybe if I travel light enough, I can take everything with me? What would be considered "light enough"? Thanks again for your help!!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post Galapagos Cruise Plans

Have you been told that you have to leave luggage in Quito? if you're not flying from one island to another within the Galapagos (where inter-island restrictions are tighter), your weight restrictions (well, I should say OUR weight restrictions) are the same for flying into Quito and from Quito to Baltra. We packed to meet the restrictions on American Airlines within the US and took everything with us from Quito to Baltra. No problem.

Now--fitting everything into your cabin could be a challenge. We had very collapsible duffels so we were able to fit our suitcases in our cabin as well as all of our stuff. (Our boat didn't have a lot of storage for hard-sided suitcases, so we were glad we didn't have to worry about that.) But we packed light--lots of quick-dry nylon shorts and shirts--so we really didn't have any problem with that either.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Post Galapagos Cruise Plans

One suitcase and one carry-on shouldn't be a problem going to Galapagos. Mostly its people that have to pack for high altitude walking in Ecuador that have to leave luggage in Quito. You don't need much for a Galapagos cruise.

As the previous poster noted, you may not have much space in the cabin so hard cases are more difficult. I normally travel alone so use the second bed for the case.

Time to get back to a hotel to collect luggage would depend on where you were staying. Traffic to the old part of town can get very slow.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Post Galapagos Cruise Plans

I agree with the posters above. If you flight is late in the evening, then it shouldn´t be a problem for the same day, but I´d recommend bringing all of your stuff with you, and trying to pack lightly. It would be a bad scene if your flight from Galapagos happened to be late and you still had to trudge across town to pick up stuff at your hotel. (I wouldn´t ask the hotel to send it on to the airport). Another option would be to spend a few nights in quito, having left the extra luggage at the hotel...there is lots to see and do in around the area, and you would avoid the stress of worrying about connection times. Have a great time!

7. Re: Post Galapagos Cruise Plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2011, 06:20