We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Int'l Airfare

Beaverton
Level Contributor
170 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Int'l Airfare

Getting close to booking a trip for next March. Usually, if we purchase insurance it includes int'l airfare. What is your experience in purchasing the airfare (for me from the U.S.) after the cruise and other parts of a trip to the Galapagos? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
97 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Int'l Airfare

I usually purchase insurance on just the trip/cruise portion and not the airfare. We booked on Xpedition for a combined cruisetour starting December 30 (New Year's Eve in Quito and New Years Day in Baltra). We purchased airfare on our own rather than through Celebrity. Our decision was based on several things: (i) we could purchase better connections at a lower fare than Celebrity; (ii) if we had purchased airfare through Celebrity we would be required to pay a premium on the cost of the airfare which was significant and (iii) if we had to cancel, we could still get a credit (with a fee) on a future ticket. While we are taking some risk, the savings in airfare on our own and not insuring the airfare was significant.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
107 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Int'l Airfare

IIn addition to the cost of the cruise I would also insure the air portion from the mainland to the islands in the event of a cancelation on departure in the US. Airfare to GPS is about $425.00 pp which is a significant amount of money.

Beaverton
Level Contributor
170 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Int'l Airfare

Thanks. I'm just use to insuring the whole trip, but this one would be hard to do, but I want to make sure I'm covered as lots can happen in 1 year:) Thanks again.

4. Re: Int'l Airfare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 15:16