We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba lessons?

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
scuba lessons?

Hi: I was thinking of going to the Galapagos Islands in March, but neither my son nor my husband want to join me. Although I have a friend that may be interested.

If I go on my own, I was thinking of doing a scuba diving certification program. Does anyone know of a reputable company? I've never dived before, but have wanted to for many years.

Kay

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba lessons?

This would be an extraordinarily expensive scuba course. You're looking at a minimum of $500 just to fly there from the mainland and pay the park fee; tack on hotel and meals, and THEN the cost of the course, plus hours in a classroom and confined water doing drills before you get into open water to do more drills. As a newly certified diver you are going to spend all your time underwater minding what you're doing instead of relaxing and enjoying the scenery.

If you're really keen on learning to dive, you are much better off getting certified at home; at least do your theory and confined water at home and get a referral to do the open water portion elsewhere. Almost any place in the U.S. or Caribbean would be much cheaper for that. Hold off on Galapagos diving until you know you have some advanced skills and feel perfectly comfortable in the water.

If you're really set on Galapagos, enjoy the snorkeling that the cruises offer.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba lessons?

Thanks, I guess that makes sense!!!

K

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba lessons?

AZ "Buceadora", means AZ "SCUBA DIVER" in Spanish - she knows what she's talking about!

But just snorkeling in Galapagos is fantastic - so, don't cancel your plan to visit.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scuba lessons?

Thanks, I still plan to visit, I'll learn to dive elsewhere, but will plan on snorkeling at Galapagos.

K

Beaverton
Level Contributor
166 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scuba lessons?

Along the same lines, we have a trip planned for next Spring and wondered if it might be worth taking scuba lessons in the States prior to going?

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scuba lessons?

I'm most definitely not a diver. But if you read Azbuceadora's comment above (#1), you'll see that she stated that you should have pretty advanced skills before diving in the Galápagos. A mere 8 or 9 months certified doesn't seem like enough time to develop confidence and advanced skills, at least to me, unless you have a number of scuba-related trips planned during that period. (Let's hope some REAL divers pitch in here with more specifics.)

You could also type "scuba" or "diving" into the search box of this forum (and I suggest you then sort by date to get the most recent ones first) to see what others have written here before.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scuba lessons?

I wouldn't bother with scuba lessons just for a Galapagos trip. If learning to dive is something you've been wanting to do anyway, then go ahead. You won't be ready for a dive liveaboard by spring but you can do a day of diving after your cruise boat docks near the end of your trip, where you'll be handed off to a dive operator. I believe there are some relatively tame sites the dive op would take you to. Be aware that visibility is not usually very good; it might be at most 30' of murky green water. Also, you will miss a day's activities with the rest of the group from your boat (probably the Darwin Center).

I am one of the extraordinarily fortunate few to have done both a dive liveaboard some years ago and recently a standard eight-day cruise. I chose not to dive on this last trip and was quite happy with the snorkeling (sea lions, sharks, sea turtles, and penguins, plus masses of fish).

Guayaquil, Ecuador
Level Contributor
122 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scuba lessons?

People do get certified in the Galapagos and even more do Discovery Dives, so it's not impossible. It will be a bit pricier than other destinations. You can do everything except the open water dive at home and then do the open water referral dive in Galapagos.

I would ONLY recommend 2 options for training...either Scuba Iguana or one of only 2 Course Directors in Ecuador lives in Galapagos.. (ps...she's Canadian) If you know the PADI hierarchy, Course Director is as high as you go. They are the ones who train instructors who are the ones who train divers.

Happy to put you directly in touch if you PM me.

Edited: 03 September 2011, 16:03
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scuba lessons?

Excellent thread here! I did my advanced classes on up to Dive Master classes in the Galapagos and I would have to say that if you are looking at diving as a career choice, or as a serious "hobby", then learning in Galapagos is definitely amazing, and will definitely help you in learning to handle situations that warm water no-current dives might present to you in other regions.

If you are simply interested in learning to dive as an occasional perk to future travels, then go i´d recommend learning elsewhere: the costs alone, as well as the conditions for beginner divers in the central islands aren´t spectacular in my opinion.

If you do decide to learn in Galapagos (because of course it is a personal choice!) then i would also second the shout out for Scuba Iguana.

Otherwise, the snorkeling is truly fantastic anyways and i´ve even been fortunate enough to snorkel with dolphins and whales on the same day..(but that was definitely an"out of the ordinary" day!

Good luck with your decision!

10. Re: scuba lessons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 18:16