We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos Journey I luxury class catamaran ??

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Galapagos Journey I luxury class catamaran ??

Anyone been on this catamaran recently? im considering an 8 day cruise on this one.

Also, if its a choice between Genovesa, Floreana & Espanola OR Fernandina, Bartolome, Isabela and Santa Cruz.....which would be the best option?? (im sure they are both fantastic !) Im very keen to see Penguins and red & blue footed boobies. Thanks

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapagos Journey I luxury class catamaran ??

Sorry I haven't been on the catamaran but if you want to see red footed boobies then you must go to Genovesa. You will see blue footed in many places but Espanola is one of the best.

On the other hand, you need to go to Fernandina for the flightless cormorants and Bartolome has the best landscape view.

I am sure you will enjoy either itinerary.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galapagos Journey I luxury class catamaran ??

And to make it even harder, your best chances for seeing the Galápagos Penguin will be on the western islands (Fernandina, Isabela) or around Bartolomé. So unless you can go on a longer cruise, your target species are split evenly across your 2 choices-- Red-footed Boobies on the 1st, penguins most likely on the 2nd.

Personally, I think seeing the penguins is very special, since they can only be found in the archipelago. They are the only penguin species to breed entirely within the tropics and to show up in the northern hemisphere. How special is that?!? Plus, they are unbelievably adorable. Red-footed Boobies can be seen elsewhere on the planet (although maybe you'll never get there).

Of course, if you took the itinerary with Genovesa, you'd also get to see the amazing breeding colony of Waved Albatross on Española--the only place on the planet (with one small exception) that they come to land. (That is, if you're traveling between, say, mid-April and mid-Dec. Other times, they're soaring off the coast of Peru.) So that's another plus for the 1st itinerary.

For my priorities, I guess I'd reluctantly choose the 2nd itinerary, with Fernandina & Isabela. But I also think that, especially for folks who are visiting the archipelago for the first time, focusing too much on a few target species can be a mistake. Either of these itineraries, as DP points out, will provide you with interesting experiences and great wildlife. So don't sweat the details too much!

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galapagos Journey I luxury class catamaran ??

Thats great advice, thanks very much. Because its such a special trip im probably over thinking everything!! I know i will enjoy any itinerary really!!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galapagos Journey I luxury class catamaran ??

Hello. My husband and I just returned from an 8 day cruise on the Journey I/ Anahi. It was the most beautiful boat on the water and our guide was excellent. I never thought much about the naturalist, but after having a great guide and seeing the naturalists from other boats, I soon realized that the naturalist can make your trip the best ever or just ho-hum. If you can go when Roberto is on the boat, I suggest scheduling your trip accordingly.

The boat was nice. We had one of the two matrimonial suites and my only complaint is the bathroom was quite a bit smaller than the rooms with two twin beds. We were running into one another while using the bathroom and really only one person could be in there at once - if someone is in the shower, the other person would need to leave the bathroom so the person in the shower could get out. It was just a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things.

We went to the western islands and I thought it was the better choice of the two routes. I agree, the red footed boobie would be great to see, but in my opinion the penguins and abundance of animals on the western route outweighed seeing the RFB.

The food was good, but not five-star quality. The quantity of food was not that great but after a few people complained they seemed to make more (there was just barely enough food for everyone and no extra for seconds the first couple days). We had dessert for lunch and dinner which was nice and usually refreshing.

The bar was nice but I suggest keeping tabs on what you drink - a couple people (us included) were charged for drinks we didn't order but they were promptly removed when we mentioned it.

Overall, I think this boat is an excellent choice and without a doubt I would go on the Anahi again! The crew we interacted with the most were true professionals and were very experienced. The minor issues above did not dampen our experience in the least.

A few things suggestions/things to bring:

* Lots of spf 50+ sun block (regular and water proof/resistant)

* Two wide brimmed hats

* Two pairs of shoes - hiking and sandals

* Two swimsuits if you want to snorkel

* Collapsable water bottles - we got ours at Eddie Bauer - very handy!

* Aloe Vera gel (no matter how much sun screen you use you will need this)

* A fanny-pack for day excursions big enough to hold camera/water

* Lots of memory cards for your camera (and/or a laptop)

* An underwater camera if you snorkel

* Poncho (we had rain coats but our legs got soaked a few times)

* Exclude taking any cotton clothes, use only synthetic travel clothing

* If you take a DSLR camera, warm it up in the dining area before using

* Clothes pins to hang your clothes in your room or on the sun deck

* Polarized sunglasses

* Snorkel gear - they have plenty but for the best fit, bring your own

So that's our two cents. The Anahi is a great choice and I hope you have a wonderful time. The cruise was by far the best part of our three week vacation!

5. Re: Galapagos Journey I luxury class catamaran ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2013, 10:28