We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide which boat

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Topic
Trying to decide which boat

Hi, does anyone have thoughts on the Beagle? I am also looking at G Adventures with the G1 boat. CNH tours looked interesting but waiting to hear back from them. I really want to do the western islands. I don't need fancy accommodations but wish for a great naturalist and active trip! Ay help is appreciated. My head is spinning with all the choices.

Thx,

HiknDog

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to decide which boat

I was on the Beagle a couple of years ago and had a great time. I did the Western Itinerary - the Beagle was one of the first boats to do different itineraries on alternate weeks.

There was a report in the forum from someone who was not so impressed recently and said it had changed owners. You might want to do a forum search.

The Beagle used to offer a single cabin but I don't know if the new owners continued that or not. It actually had upper and lower single beds but was very small so it could be a twin now. There used to be a discount if 2 people shared this cabin.

The Beagle beds are of the narrow double variety with a single bunk above. Many couples choose to use them as upper/lower bunks as there is not really much room for two on the lower bed.

As with most of the Galapagos boats, don't expect to ever see any sails - these are for the brochure pictures only. The only boat I have seen with sails up is the Mary Anne.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,978 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to decide which boat

We went w/CNH Tours on the Samba, couldn't have asked for a better time, Juan was wonderful as a guide. Accomodations weren't fancy, but more than adequate, food was very good.

You can view my book of our trip here...

http://bethbillsadventures.shutterfly.com/

Scroll down the left side of the page and click on the book you want to view, then click again to enlarge.

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to decide which boat

Thank you for the responses. CNH is looking really nice.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to decide which boat

We have seriously considered the CNH tour on the Samba to the western islands. I personally think the Samba's north/western itinerary is the best I've seen, at least for our priorities. And the naturalist guide, even if it's not Juan, is pretty much guaranteed to be excellent, because he/she is hand-picked. And you get a lot of value for the price.

We'll probably go with another boat, since issues of single supplements for our single friend have to be factored in. But otherwise, I think we'd be signing up for that particular itinerary ourselves!

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
203 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to decide which boat

Hi HiknDog27,

Just back from a trip on the Samba, Northwest itinerary, booked through CNH. It was absolutely fantastic - the boat, the crew, the guide, Juan Salcedo. We were the first ones on any island in the morning and spent more time on land than the other groups we saw. Snorkeling every day, sometimes twice and it was amazing. I will post a longer trip report soon, but I'm sure this will exceed any expectations for your trip.

6. Re: Trying to decide which boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 19:47