We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disappointment in itinerary change - Celebrity Xpedition

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Disappointment in itinerary change - Celebrity Xpedition

Discussion of "last minute cruise" has made me writing this as this could happen to anybody who is not last minute's person.

I am not and never be a last mintes person. I like to think, study and think more before I decide. My cruise is now 4 weeks away and I booked my cruise in June last year after carefully examined 2 itineraries and chose Itinerary A (Espanola/Floreana/go through Isabela west coast from south to north). I was very pleased with my itinerary. The reason of my choice is of course 2 full days in Isabela west coast and also other one (Itinerary B) involves many places where we can just take a day trip by ourselves. We decided to go to Galapagos by ourselves 2 weeks before the cruise for one week, flying to San Cristobal and then move on to P.Ayora to visit Bartolome. These places are not included in Itinerary A.

Now it seems we are doing Itinerary B. It is not officially confirmed but calculating alternately from the current and past cruise, my cruise will be now Itinerary B.

I started to doubt the itinerary when I read Turtlemum's review. I was looking for her review as she supposed to do A but she actually did original old itinerary. Celebrity advertised to start alternate itinerary from September last year but actually they have just started on 29 January. Advertised itinerary on that date was B but somehow they started with A so now A and B are opossite. The reason of this is "itinerary is governed by Galapagos NP".

Now we will visit Kicker Rock and Bartolome twice. I am sure both itineraries are wonderful but it is a big disappointment in me. My theory of choosing your own favorite itinerary as early as possible to avoid disappointment didn't work with me. This will be definately our trip of a life time and we don't think we can return. After giving up small/medium cruise by medical reason, my perfect itinerary (1 week by ourselves and 1 week cruise) is now a bit disturbed. I am writing because I am struggling to corp but after I submit this, I will try to like my new itinerary B.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,279 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disappointment in itinerary change - Celebrity Xpedition

Is it possible your worry is premature? Why not contact Celebrity directly--or the agent if you booked through one--to confirm the itinerary one way or the other.

Whatever happens, you're going to have a marvelous trip of a lifetime.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disappointment in itinerary change - Celebrity Xpedition

AND, after you find out for sure what the itinerary is, maybe you could switch weeks and still have a choice, if it is the wrong itinerary? Ask Celebrity, and if you have correspondence saying what the itinerary was when you booked, and how it has changed........they might meet you halfway--or give you both weeks? Nothing ventured, nothing gained............and good luck!

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disappointment in itinerary change - Celebrity Xpedition

His trip is only 4 weeks away...I am sure he has all his air worked out. Celebrity did end up switching the itineraries...I had planned on B and now am on A...and this isn't until 2013, but because of work schedule we cannot change the date.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disappointment in itinerary change - Celebrity Xpedition

The same thing happened to me last time I went and I managed to switch the cruise week and my land stay. Quite a hassle as I had a rented house booked but it worked out in the end. I don't see any cruises avaialable for March though so maybe Celebrity is full aleady.

Does anyone know if the current celebrity site is showing the correct or incorrect schedules ? In other words can someone give a known date and correct schedule.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disappointment in itinerary change - Celebrity Xpedition

My reason for suggesting a different cruise is because it sounded like they had two additional weeks planned in the Galapagos--which could allow some flexibility? My suggestion wouldn't change air reservations if they did allow extra time in the Galapagos............just strategizing what the options are outside the box.

"We decided to go to Galapagos by ourselves 2 weeks before the cruise for one week, flying to San Cristobal and then move on to P.Ayora to visit Bartolome. These places are not included in Itinerary A".

DPsoftware's post above sounds like it has happened........at least once!

Edited: 15 February 2012, 00:19
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disappointment in itinerary change - Celebrity Xpedition

Celebrity Online has started to switch itinerary for future unsold dates but for us for already sold out cruises, neither Celebrity nor our agent have contacted me yet. I have written to Mr Hanrahan (CEO, Celebrity Cruise) not for complaining but for confirming officially but no response. I have asked so many times about this to my agent since I read Turtlemom's review, she is always insisting that I have "A" as our E-doc says so. I just want to know the clear fact which itinerary we are going to have.....I am not asking much but there is no official notification yet.

It is just my impression that with this kind of situation, everything is blamed to "all itinerary is governed by Galapagos NP" but I feel there is some company's operational circumstances are also involved (I am only just assuming...).

For our trip, as we took Celebrity 10 days vacation includes pre-post stay in Quito, we go to Galapagos privately on 2nd week, Andes Tour 3rd week and then to the cruise. So really packed, all booked and paid. Also Celebrity is always sold out anyway.

7. Re: Disappointment in itinerary change - Celebrity Xpedition

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 19:53