We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itineries

manchester
Level Contributor
107 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
itineries

Hi ,

Could anyone advise as to which is the best itinery-both are similar but which is preferred-appreciate anty help

SAT am: Baltra Island Airport: Arrival and Transfer to the boat

pm: Rabida Island

SUN am: Isabela: Vicente Roca Point

pm: Fernandina: Espinosa Point

MON am: Isabela: Tagus Cove

pm: Isabela: Urbina Bay

TUE am: Isabela: Elizabeth Bay

pm: Isabela: Moreno Point

WED am: Isabela: Puerto Villamil

pm: Isabela: Puerto Villamil

THU am: North Seymour

pm: Santa Cruz: Twin Craters/Charles Darwin St.

FRI am: Española: Suarez Point

pm: Española: Gardner Bay

SAT am: San Cristobal: Intr. Center/Galapaguera

pm: Transfer to the Airport

2nd one

SAT am. Baltra Island Airport: Arrival and Transfer to the boat

pm: Santa Cruz Island: Twin Craters & Chato

SUN am. Isabela Island: Tintoreras / Wetlands/ Wall of tears / Tortoise Breeding Station

pm: Isabela Island: Sierra Negra

MON am. Isabela Island: Moreno Point

pm: Isabela Island: Elizabeth Bay

TUE am. Fernandina Island: Mangle Point

pm: Isabela Island: Urbina Bay

WED am. Fernandina Island: Espinosa Point

pm: Isabela Island: Tagus Cove

THU am. Santiago Island: Egas Port

pm: Santiago Island: Espumilla Beach & Buccaneer Cove

FRI am. Genovesa Island: El Barranco

pm: Genovesa Island: Darwin Bay

SAT am. North Seymour Island

pm: Transfer to the Airport

The first is missing Genovesa and seeing espanola which does not have the wave albatross when we want to visit in december and has a day on a beach (villimi) but the second does Genovesa

but spends 2 sessions seeing the giant totoise which I have seen before- so it boils down to diversity of genovesa compared to espanola I guess

Thanks for any views

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itineries

Its very close but I would go with the 2nd one.

Although you lose Espanola, without the albatross its main attraction are the boobies that you can see on N. Seymour. With Genovesa you have an equally spectacular island that gets you red footed boobies.

Although you have the 2 tortoises, the one on Espanola is only a short time being only 1 of 3 things in the morning. The afternoon you get to walk up the volcano.

Of course there may be other considerations as well as the itinerary.

Dave Peters

DP Software

manchester
Level Contributor
107 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itineries

Thanks Dave for your advice

.If you remeber you also gave me some advice on another post I started-so appreciate your help

PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: itineries

We are planning a trip to Quito (June19-27), Ecuador and would love to spend a few days (no more than 6) in Galapago Islands. What do you recommend?

Thanks!

RE

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itineries

MMSAF--We were on Espanola at the beginning of December 2011 and saw waved albatrosses. It is a spectacular island geologically and due to the iguanas (starting to color up!), sea lions and beautiful beach at Gardner Bay. We were also on Genovesa and the bird life is 'in your face'...........so between the two it's a bit of a toss up, but I would go for the first itinerary. These are tough decisions, but once you make up your mind you can focus on where you are going!

PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: itineries

Thank you so much for the info! I think we will fly from Quito to Santa Cruz and go from there. I dont know why I was under the impression you could only go to Galapagos in a cruise (we just came back from a 21 day cruise to Southeast Asia!) So Espanola. . . eh? :)

re

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itineries

OOPS! I can see where that is confusing and I assumed you were talking about the cruises IN the Galapagos. Often if you book ahead of time the cruise will coordinate the airfare...sometimes included, sometimes not in the price you are paying. They have seats already available on the flights. Just another tidbit to chew on...........

manchester
Level Contributor
107 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itineries

Hi Thanks everyone for their advice-it boils now down to price I guess-

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itineries

Lots going on on this thread. I have just one minor comment to RosaElena (#5). Española is a lovely island--and extraordinary, if you're traveling during the months that the Waved Albatross are there. (Best chances are mid-April to mid-Dec.) But you can only get to Española on a naturalist cruise--no day trips there from Santa Cruz. You might be able to find a short leg of a cruise that goes there, if you check carefully. But it could be challenging to book that at the last minute from Puerto Ayora.

Day trips from Santa Cruz go to Floreana, Bartolomé, Santa Fé, S. Plaza, and N. Seymour.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

manchester
Level Contributor
107 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itineries

I will be there 20th dec approximately.It is likely there will be no waved albatross.Is Espanola still worth seeing?

This is a very important question for me -one that has been puzzling me for some time- with there being 5 of us this is an expensive trip so I want it to be right

Thank for advice

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itineries

Take a look at Tina's blog as mentioned above. She gives a very helpful and detailed trip report (Thank you, Tina). She has a few pages about the various Espanola sites. I'm sure it will help you decide, and probably reassure you about your decisions as well.

Espanola page 1:

…wordpress.com/day-by-day-activities/…