We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

photography tours

Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
photography tours

I would like recomendations on Galapagos Island photography tours the last week in May or first week in June.. Which photography tours are the best?

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: photography tours

Dear ql,

you might want to consider contacting DP Software directly, one of this forum's destination experts. He is a photographer and has done photography cruises in the islands.

warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: photography tours

I did try to organise my own tour last year but couldn't get enough people to fill the boat. I think anyone chartering a boat to offer a tour will either have filled it for this May/June or will have cancelled before they had to pay.

I have always just joined a regular cruise even though I take my 800mm lens and tripod with me. The guides are normally quite helpful and will give you a hand getting the equipment off the boat.

What you will have to do is keep within sight of the guide so you may not be able to stay in one position as often as you would like. I find if you show the guide that you respect the rules of staying on the paths then they often give you some lattitude in hanging back from the group for a bit. You may miss the talks on the way if you do this so perhaps better for a second visit to the islands rather than your first.

One true photo tour I know of is www.birdsasart.com but its July and I know it is already half full for next year. Its 2 weeks but will set you back over $12,000 per person sharing. Thats nearly double what it would cost on the same boat as a regular passenger.

I have heard that National Geographic (who run larger boats) tend to group people with similar interests together. So in that case you may be able to get a better paced tour - although with the expense of a larger number on the island at once.

If you can find someone that has chartered the entire boat then the tour can dictate when the group start and stop walking so that would be the ideal. For me it would also be best to get on the island before breakfast but then everyone has to agree to this since there is only one guide and you can't go without one.

I normally take some time on land after the cruise so I can spend some slower paced time without guides in the highlands of Santa Cruz. Its also possible to stay on Isabela and San Cristobal too. Floreana is possible but more difficult as there is no transport and no shops on the island - you would only do this if you wanted the medium tree finch. I arranged my Floreana stay through red mangrove lodge on Santa Cruz. Be aware its a very long walk to the highlands of Floreana. There is a day trip from Santa Cruz that takes you to the highlands on a bus - but the bus is only for tour groups.

You can see some of my photos at:

www.dpphotoimages.com

Dave Peters

DP Software

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Isabela
Isabela
San Cristobal
San Cristobal
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: photography tours

Dear Heather,

Thank you for your idea... As you can see he also responded to my question.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Warmest regards,

Kay

Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: photography tours

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your very helpful advice.

Sincerely

Kay

Snohomish...
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: photography tours

We took the Lindblad National Geographic Photo Tour on the Endeavor in Nov 2011. It was exactly what we were looking for. The designated photo groups definitely emphasized the photo opportunities and we never felt rushed. The guides catered to the photographers in their balance of natural history information and photo experience. Even though it is a "large" boat we typically only saw our panga group onshore. I have a blog posting with some photo tips if you're interested: …wordpress.com/trips/…

Art

Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: photography tours

Dear Art,

Thank you so much for writing. Your blog is phenomenal!! Additionally your pictures are some of the best I have seen... Thank you so much for responding to my question.

Best regards,

Kay

Guayaquil, Guayas...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: photography tours

Dear Kay,

I have a couple friends who are interested in these kind of tours, and on November/2011 I took one of these.

If you really want to go on a photography tour you may group up some people you know they may want to join you, and I can help you get in contact with the people who took me 2 years ago.

I talked with 10 friends and we all paid a share for a chartered tour, these guy will even change the entire tour in order to fit your needs. If you wanna stay longer, you can do it, if you wanna skip places you can also do it, the only thing you cant do is to stay longer or visiting twice the restricted areas, such as GENOVESA and other places that require permission.

Maybe you and my 2 other friends can set up a group of 10-16 ppl and get into a chartered photography tour.

8. Re: photography tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 September 2012, 14:35
9. Re: photography tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2013, 10:17