We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exit tax still on?

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Exit tax still on?

Has anyone paid it departing from Quito lately? I've heard "rumours" that it is now included in the ticket price, depending on company. I'll be flying American Airlines. Thank you, Daniela

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exit tax still on?

Dear Daniela,

it's still on. It's about $42.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exit tax still on?

we flew out of quito on thursday on iberia and did not have to pay. our guide said it was now included in our ticket.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exit tax still on?

Indeed, thank you WP.

I'm doing a bit of research on this - important, as I send people to Galapagos regularly, and it seems that there has been a very recent change - with no notice as far as I can tell. I'm checking to see if it's systematic (e.g.all airlines). Will revert.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exit tax still on?

Dear Daniela,

My very reliable source informs me that indeed, departure taxes have now all been incorporated into the airline tickets, and there is no longer any separate departure tax paying process.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exit tax still on?

Dear Heather, merci

For checking it out thoroughly. Still, since it is a very recent change and I've prepaid my airline ticket in early December 2011, would it be possible to find out if the departure tax depends on the airline ticket's purchase date ???

I don't mind paying it, it is that I'm a credit card person and would prefer not to carry too much cash around....

Encore une fois, merci beaucoup, Daniela

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exit tax still on?

The change went into effect a year or so ago, so you're fine. You might look at your e-ticket and see if you can decipher all those numbers and symbols at the bottom; the one that's about $42 is the departure tax.

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exit tax still on?

Thanks, Azbuceadora,

Actually, that was the first thing I've tried to check before asking this very helfpul forum. All I got is the itinerary, flight # & seats #. I've asked my TA, and she explained that since AA are in the habit of changing the flight hours, she will issue me an updated e-ticket only 48 hours before the flight.... I was so happy to find a Tel-Aviv-NY-Miami-Quito ticket for a reasonable price, that I've paid it all in advance, without checking the actual "piecing" of price&taxes... Thanks again, Daniela

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
868 posts
935 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exit tax still on?

I can confirm that there is no separate departure tax paid in Quito. Indeed, if you book an award ticket to Ecuador on American Airlines -- at least one that includes Galapagos -- you don't pay the Ecuador departure tax at all! At least I didn't: my total taxes on a USA-GPS award ticket were only $28 per person. It certainly takes the sting out of the $110 Galapagos entry fee which every non-South American over age 11 has to pay at the airport ($10 at GYE and I assume UIO, and $100 paid when you land at GPS).

Edited: 17 April 2012, 05:11
Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exit tax still on?

Thanks, Dave.

I guess I'll splash out for internet instead....

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exit tax still on?

Airport exit tax has been always been there, and it won't go. Is the same for locals and foreigners...

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez