We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report, Tip Top III

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
220 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report, Tip Top III

Just got back from the Galapagos Islands, what a magical place!! We chose to do a combination Land and Cruise trip, so we went on the Tip Top III for 4 nights, then 4 nights on Isabella, 4 nights on Santa Cruz. Here is my report about the cruise portion:

If you want to see the remote and most unique parts of the islands you definitely have to go on the cruise. The Tip Top III covered places we couldn't go from the land portion of our trip (Floreana, Espanola and San Cristobel). I paid extra for an upper cabin because I wanted to minimize noise and also get the big window view. Yes, it was definitely quiet but our window (cabin 7) was so tinted that it was almost completely dark. However our kids, who were next door, didn't have a tinted window and neither did any of theother cabins or common areas. I asked and they said it was to minimize reflections which confused the turtles when they're coming out to sea - seems reasonable but why was only our cabin affected. Also, the beds are REALLY small but there was ample storage space. I did not think it swayed excessively and in fact the light rocking was very soothing at night.

I felt that the schedule was too regimented, and we had a very rushed morning, then about 3-3.5 hours in the boat, then only half an hour of snorkeling, get back in the boat and we had 15 minutes to get out of our wet suits and get ready for the last activity. I wish we had more time snorkeling and it seemed like we were only spending 5 hours on activities each day.

One other item, if you can bring your own wetsuit. The ones they rent are 2mm and only halfsies, maybe OK for hte warmer times, but for July everybody was freezing in them. We brought 5mm full wet suits which were perfect.

The crew was great, food was great and abundant! They have a water purifier so we always had an infinite supply of drinking water, and the showers (which were very decent) had soap and shampoo.

The highlights of the cruise was Espanola (albatross, sea lion beach), lava tube on Floreana (the last 20 m you need to swim to the end) and Kicker rock (snorkeling with shakes including a hammerhead).

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,684 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report, Tip Top III

Thanks for your report. I'm sorry the itinerary was so rushed and you didn't have much time to snorkel. Our excursions from the Eric seemed to go at leisurely pace, and we usually had an hour to snorkel. It appears you're a diver, too, and I know how frustrating it must have been not to have more time in the water.

Hope you write about your land tours as well.

2. Re: Trip report, Tip Top III

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 11:17