We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos cruise - Last minute vs advance booking - Oct 2012

London, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Galapagos cruise - Last minute vs advance booking - Oct 2012

Hi,

So I've booked my flights now for my 2 month trip to South America. I start in Quito and am planning to head to the Galapagos asap. I've seen lots of debate on whether to book a last minute cruise or book in advance. In terms of timing, I will arrive in Quito at night on Tuesday 2nd October. Based on my itinerary, I would ideally like to start a cruise by Saturday 6th or Sunday 7th October. Does this leave me enough time to hope that I will be able to find one space on a 7 night, 8 day cruise? I'm simply looking for a clean and comfortable boat.

Any advice?

Many thanks,

Nina

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,160 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapagos cruise - Last minute vs advance booking - Oct 2012

There has been a recent post like this one. Either go back a week or so throutpg the pages or use rhe small green search box above and put in 'last minute'. By default, it searches by relevance, but you can sort by date as well.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,383 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galapagos cruise - Last minute vs advance booking - Oct 2012

You do have some wiggle room to search for a boat and will most likely get one. Just do your research on boats and itineraries ahead of time so you know what you're getting into when you purchase.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galapagos cruise - Last minute vs advance booking - Oct 2012

Dear Nina,

you seem to meet the criteria for last minute cruise hunting with lowest risk:

1) low season - early October is not particularly busy in the islands

2) traveling solo - easier to squeeze you in even on smaller ships

3) flexible schedule - you can consider +/- a few days to get the ship that can offer you something you want.

4) not too picky on the ship specifications

As noted by AZ above, don't rush into anything until you've done a decent review of the ship being offered. There a some real duds out there you'd rather want to avoid.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Ecuador
Level Contributor
18 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galapagos cruise - Last minute vs advance booking - Oct 2012

Hi Nina,

we are 3 friends looking for travel mates to go to galapagos on the 8th of October. Got a good deal with a friend living in the Islands but we need to be at least 8 people.

If youa re interested in jioning us let us know.

We are 2 italians and 1 canadian, I have been traveling since January 2011 (almost 2 years backpacking), we do not sell tours we only want to go trying to cut the expenses.

If you are interested in join us or you want to know more, drop us an email

Cheers

Giulia

London, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galapagos cruise - Last minute vs advance booking - Oct 2012

Thanks! I'm leaving for Quito tomorrow but still have to book my flights to the Galapagos.

Looking at LAN the return flights from Quito - Baltra, Baltra - Guayaquil are coming up at £282. I've also been informed that if I book as an Ecuadorian the flights are much cheaper - online, in GBP these are coming up at £240 which isnt that much different ( I was told the difference was about $150).

I will also need to change these flights as soon as I have booked my boat trip.. I think LAN do this free of charge?

Heather/Azbuceadora with regards to boats, is there a shortlist of boats you would recommend? A clean comfortable boat is fine with me!

Guilia - I've messaged you separately!

Many thanks,

Nina

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,383 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galapagos cruise - Last minute vs advance booking - Oct 2012

You can't go wrong with the Eric, Letty, Flamingo trio, though they may be out of your price range.

Booking as an Ecuadorian: If you are not Ecuadorian, you will have to pay the difference when you check in.

7. Re: Galapagos cruise - Last minute vs advance booking - Oct 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 10:15