We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos Cruise Itinerary Question

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Galapagos Cruise Itinerary Question

On the 8 day/ 7 night itineraries we are seeing either one day in Genovesa Island or Espanola Island. We really like the birds/animals to be seen on both islands and we can not decide which one to choose. Can someone please give us some advice that have been to both islands? Thank you.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapagos Cruise Itinerary Question

When will you be traveling? If it's between, say, mid-Dec. through March, the stars of Española--the magnificent Waved Albatross--will be less common to completely absent as they head off to soar non-stop off the coast of Peru. If you're going during that period, the choice (in my opinion) is a bit easier--Genovesa will be more interesting. (Although don't get me wrong--Española is a lovely island in its own right, even without the albatross.)

Even if you're traveling during a period that that Waved Albatross will be on Española, I think I'd still favor Genovesa in this really tough choice. But it's a very close call. Genovesa offers you the opportunity to walk through the breeding colonies of all 3 species of Boobies (Blue-footed, Red-footed, Nazca), practically eye to eye with the huge, gawky nestlings incongruously perched in nests in low bushes or just hanging out on the path. You might also get lucky and catch a glimpse of a diurnal Short-eared Owl hunting among the clouds of Galápagos Storm-Petrels on El Barranco.

Also, we especially liked snorkeling in Darwin Bay--a collapsed caldera that was really deep. We saw a colony of Galápagos fur sea lions on the rocky cliffs around Darwin Bay. Unlike the ubiquitous Galápagos Sea Lions, you are only likely to see these animals in a few spots in the archipelago.

So, if all other aspects of the 2 itineraries are equal--which, of course, they aren't--I'd reluctantly vote for Genovesa. But really, it's a win-win choice. You'll see marvels beyond compare at either island. So don't sweat the choice too much!

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galapagos Cruise Itinerary Question

ztsipapu, Thank you for your informative posts, they are very helpful. We will be going in late March or early April. What are your thoughts on a cruise on a catamaran cabin with or without a balcony. Is it practical for us to bring our DSLR camera with a 70 X 200 telephoto lens? We are going an Amazon rain forest tour after our cruise so I think packing will be a challenge? Have you done any posts on these subjects? Thank you again.

3. Re: Galapagos Cruise Itinerary Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2013, 10:19