We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best islands to include in cruise itinerary for snorkeling

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Best islands to include in cruise itinerary for snorkeling

I am early in the planning stage to hopefully take a first trip (and maybe only) to Galapagos in June 2014. Have been reading these forums and some guide books and am leaning toward a 1 week cruise vs land based trip. The more reading that I do about the islands, the more I want to see them all; unfortunately time and cost will limit me to about 1 week. Of course I want to get the most varied experience in the 7 day cruise so am hoping I can get some input into which of the islands would be best included in a week cruise to give me optimal opportunities in June for land and snorkel experiences. I really want to see penguins and tortoises and sea turtles; would love to have the opportunity to swim in an area with sea lions and penguins. Any suggestions will be most appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best islands to include in cruise itinerary for snorkeling

Dear Banditoo,

sea lions should not be a problem - you'll find them on any itinerary. Penguins are a bit more picky - ensure your itinerary includes the western shores of Isabela island, Sombrero Chino, Bartolome, for starters. The last time I went on a cruise, that's where we swam with them! I even was close enough to touch a penguin... so briefly though. The penguin zip along and don't pay you much attention - while the sea lions, the young one particularly, will approach you and if you do some underwater acrobatics of your own, may play along. Great thrills!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Mentioned in this post
Isabela
Isabela
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best islands to include in cruise itinerary for snorkeling

Thank you Heather! I will be sure to include those islands. I had already flagged Isabela and will add the others. the challenge might be to find a cruise that includes the particular grouping. I had also read that Rabida offers superb snorkeling and often with penguins. Do you have any experience with Rabida in comparison to Isabela?

Mentioned in this post
Isabela
Isabela
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best islands to include in cruise itinerary for snorkeling

That's interesting about Rábida and superb snorkeling. I haven't read or heard that. We snorkeled there and it seems quite a bit less than spectacular. (That was in Sept.--maybe that makes a difference?) The main thing that I know Rábida for is the red beach and the large Galápagos sea lion colony.lolling around on it. We saw no penguins in the vicinity either. The 3 spots Heather mentioned are the ones where folks reliably report penguins. I wouldn't even think of choosing Rábida over the western shore of Isabela.

Another site that is renown as one of the best snorkeling spots in the archipelago is Devil's Crown, off Floreana. Just to make the choices even harder...

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Mentioned in this post
Isabela
Isabela
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,857 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best islands to include in cruise itinerary for snorkeling

Devil's Crown is a definite to include on your itinerary!!!

5. Re: Best islands to include in cruise itinerary for snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:17