We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Planning

Roseburg, Oregon
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Planning

I am trying to plan a trip for Nov-Dec 2013 and appear to be having some problems with responses from groups such as Galapagos Alternatives. I also cannot seem to find contacts and prices for B&B on Isabella and San Cristobal and information on public transportation between islands. Any help or suggestions appreciated. An looking at land only to avoid Mal de Mer..

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Planning

B&B is not my strength as I tend to go for the higher end hotels. However for inter-island transport, the cheap way is by public ferry.

The Ferry is actually a twin engined outboard motor speedboat. It takes about 2 or 2.5 hours from Puerto Ayora to either Isabela or San Cristobal for about $35. It can be uncomfortable and you need to be seated. You are much more likely to be ill on these boats than any cruise - but you get to sleep on land.

You can book the ferry any time up to the day before, either at the ticket hut near the public dock in Puerto Ayora or at many agents. If you just turn up on the day, you may not get on. There is one scheduled boat per day around 2pm and return around 6:00am - although someone said there is an alternative morning boat now.

Note there is no route from Isabela to San Cristobal by boat.

The expensive alternative is to fly by light aircraft - just a few minutes flight, more comfortable but there are restrictions on luggage. The airline is Emetebe. They have a reputation for not being completely reliable so I would not use if its critical that you be there on time. You can also go Isabela to San Cristobal this way.

Dave Peters

DP Software

2. Re: Trip Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 06:19