We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Land based tours - should I book when I arrive there?

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Land based tours - should I book when I arrive there?

Hi everyone

I'm going to the Galapagos in late March/early April and after the diving component of my stay (6 days/6 dives with Galapagos Diving Tours) we will be staying on Isabela for 5 days followed by staying on Santa Cruz for 5 days. The reason we're doing this is because we can't stand the idea of being on a boat the entire time and actually want to experience living on the islands and exploring them without too much restriction.

My question is: is it worth waiting to get to Santa Cruz before booking the land tours we want to do? Or should we book in advance, online? I have a feeling it might not be so hard to book tours like the following ones, once we get there (that is, we book the land tours, go diving for 6 days, then do the land tours): ISABELA: volcano, lava tunnels, etc; from SANTA CRUZ: Bartolome, North Seymour etc.

Has anyone had experience doing this? Will this be equally as expensive? Also, are last minute tour bookings likely to give us dodgy experiences? What companies would you recommend for last minute land based tours? All I can think of is Galapagos Alternative.

Heeeelppp!! And thank you so much in advance!!! I'd really appreciate any kind of information!!

Regards

Z

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,904 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Land based tours - should I book when I arrive there?

Z, take a look at the Top Questions on the right. Click the one titled "Should I take a cruise...?"; a list of topics will appear. Click the one titled "A trip report for the independent traveler." It is a very lengthy and detailed report of a traveler who booked everything after he arrived, plus pages of discussion.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Land based tours - should I book when I arrive there?

You shouldn't have any problems with the Isabela land tours - most hotels will be able to arrange those for you or you can look for an agent in town.

I also didn't have any problem booking Bartolome and N Seymour in Puerto Ayora. The only thing is that they don't go to all the islands each day so you will have to take the days that are offered. I would try to book these as soon as you arrive.

I booked at Moonrise travel on the main street in Puerto Ayora but there are lots of places selling the same tours. 3 years ago when I was last there, I checked out many agents and found most offered the same tours at the same prices. I went for the agent that was most helpful and spoke perfect English (I speak no Spanish). Prices were not reduced for day tours booking last minute and they can get full.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Land based tours - should I book when I arrive there?

Thanks AZ and Dave. The link with the lengthy description was very helpful and put a lot of the trip into perspective. Dave, I'm glad you were able to book on arrival. I was very nervous about all the advice to book in advance, and to be honest I didn't feel comfortable wiring the money.

Thank you again!

For others reading, the link to the independent travel post is: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294310-i6637-k537…

4. Re: Land based tours - should I book when I arrive there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 06:16