We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather - December versus March/April

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Weather - December versus March/April

We are searching online for weather related to the islands but the information is mixed - it seems like it is politically correct to say that the weather is great at any time, but if we want to avoid the following, when is the best time to go??

- avoid seasickness (as much as possible) - go when water is calmer

- warmer water temperatures for snorkelling, swimming

- more sightings of unusual mammals, birds

We lost the chance to go this spring, but I am wondering about travelling between Christmas and New Years when the kids are off school - is it just crazy there and too busy? Or perhaps the water is not warm any longer? Maybe the prices are out of this world? Any reply would be super.

Thank you for helping.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,268 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather - December versus March/April

There are posts dealing with yiur question. Use the little green search box above. Also every book I have read describes the weather contrasts and descriptions for these two popular travel times.

But short answer to them, is go in March/April. Seas calmer and warmer.

Edited: 15 January 2013, 11:21
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather - December versus March/April

We have not yet been to the Galapagos but we are going this April for the same reasons. Less choppier seas and warmer water for snorkeling. I also read on this forum that it is a lot busier between christmas and new year.

Quito, Ecuador
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather - December versus March/April

Well in terms of calm seas, April, May or even June are the best months when the sea is less choppy.

Also in terms of wildlife, these months are very good, actually most of species in the Galapagos are always there except for a couple of bird spieces that migrate. For example the big waved albatros migrates from Galapagos between December and returns on April, so if you go during late April, May or June you will see the albatros for sure.

Obviously you have to keep in mind that the spieces that you see depends on the itinerary of the cruise that you choose (Waved Albatros only can be seen on Española Island).

Finally in terms of costs, May until June 15th is considered low season so you can get better deals rather than if you go for Christmas or New Years eve when the costs are higher.

I hope I could help you. For any further info about Galapagos or Ecuador dont hesitate to ask.

4. Re: Weather - December versus March/April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Galapagos Islands