We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos Diving trip

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Galapagos Diving trip

Hi there, I am thinking of going on a diving holiday probably on my own for 10 days perhaps can do 14 if needed, to the Galapagos Islands and want to go to the best places to dive (will be doing a refresher diving course in uk first).

Can anyone recommend a good boat, route, tips, advice... I'm just begining to look at this and not sure where to start.

I have a totally blank page and I'm open to any suggestions/advice.

thanks

suziecoo

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,856 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapagos Diving trip

Hello, Suzie,

The best diving in Galapagos is in the remote islands Wolf and Darwin. This is the diving that Galapagos is famous for, with tons of hammerhead sharks, whale sharks, orcas, sea lions, and jillions of fish. The only way to do this is via a liveaboard, which will also take you to dive spots in the southern islands. You will definitely need a refresher course if you haven't dived in a while, and I highly recommend taking the Rescue course as well. You have to be very comfortable in the water, especially in current, and be able to take care of yourself if you get separated from your buddy (a distinct possibility in hard current). There are just a handful of boats offering liveaboard diving; here's a basic breakdown of them galapagosislands.com/galapagos-diving/live-a…

The alternative is to stay on land and make day trips. I've not done this but know that Scuba Iguana is very well-regarded.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galapagos Diving trip

I'm not a diver myself but the islands the good divers want to go to are Darwin and Wolfe.

Most cruises are described as 8 day but that counts the first and last days which are half days and probably consist of a check dive on one day and no diving on the other.

Expect prices around $4,500 based on 2 sharing. Not sure what the single supplement is for diving but normally around 80% for regular cruises. They may be able to match you up with another single to avoid the extra.

The dive cruises are not allowed to do land visits so if you want to check out the land life aas well, you might want to do a regular cruise after - or you could stay on land and do some day trips.

It's also possible to do day dive trips but only to the close islands (not Darwin or Wolfe) so might be a bit tame after the dive cruise.

You need to be quite experianced to do the dive cruise (say 100 logged dives recommended) but many of the day trips are listed as beginner/intermediate.

Be aware that you will be far away from help - no helicopters.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Guayaquil, Ecuador
Level Contributor
135 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galapagos Diving trip

Hi Suzi,

It is strongly rumored that for 2013, the Park is going to issue permits so that every liveaboard has the same itinerary. We should all know in the next 3 weeks. But the good news is that the ceiling of 3 dives per day on a liveaboard will increase to 4 dives per day for 2013. In short, your choice could boil down to which boat has the amenities you prefer, the type of dive guide you prefer and of course, the price which ranges now from $4295-$5495 pp. A more economical option ($3495 or $3595) is scheduled to begin operations in July...which probably means August.:) We do have a Galapagos liveaboard comparison chart on our website. And ps..one glance and I can tell you that the link posted above has dated information.

No single supplement is ever imposed on Galapagos liveaboards. You simply need to be willing to share with someone of the same sex. Occasionally someone gets lucky when they book a single space and have the cabin to themselves, but almost never during high season (June-Dec).

It also sounds like your skills are not up to advanced diving conditions. While the liveaboards do permit anyone who is certified, in high season, conditions can be quite challenging and seas can be rough. We often recommend around 100 logged dives to truly enjoy the challenge high season diving can be, however, 1 dive in the UK, California or Canada is probably the equivalent to 20 in the Caribbean. It's swift currents (up to 5 knots), down currents upon occasion, 7mm wetsuits in cold water that makes it so challenging. Having said that, I've been onboard with divers who had less than 30 logged dives who were more capable than some with hundreds, so a lot does depend on your own comfort level.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 18:47
Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Calgary, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Galapagos Diving trip

Hello Suzzie,

Diving in the Galapagos is spectacular. Wolf and Darwin are nice but expensive to get to. There is still a of great divin on the southern islands. My favorites were Barthemu and Gordon Rocks - saw lots of hammerheads, turtles, eagle rays and so many fish. Also possible to see seahorses. The environment is pristine. But beware, the current, visibility and water temperature do not make for easy dives.

I booked with Guanguiltagua Expeditions as they had a reputation for being very safe. guanguiltagua.com/html/galapagos-scuba-divin…

They had everything arranged for me and were very accommodating. They even organized customized onland expeditions in Galapagos and Quito. The guide was excellent - knowledgeable, personal, and incredibly safe. We got a delicious meal and hot chocolate between dives. Their owner was very communicative and had everything taken care of for my arrival.

Jordan

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,856 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galapagos Diving trip

Which dive operator did Guanguiltagua contract with?

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Galapagos Diving trip

I was on a land based group but don't remember the boat name. I specially requested an experienced and safety conscious crew and dive master and Guanguiltagua organized it with that as a priority. I don't know the name of the organization as the entire trip was personalized by Guanguiltagua Expeditions and the dive charters picked me up directly at my hotel each morning.

Raleigh
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galapagos Diving trip

Just got back from a dive live aboard on the Wolf Buddy. I highly recommend this boat/company. The service, boat, crew, food, etc was top notch. The dive masters were very eager to take care of you and show you the amazing wonders under the sea. We saw some of the other options and none of the boats seemed to come close to ours.

Thunder Bay
Level Contributor
3 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galapagos Diving trip

I just finished 7 days on the Galapagos Sky. An excellent boat, very professional and courteous staff and incredible food.

The itinerary for all boats are similar. Wolf and Darwin islands are a must if you are going to dive in the Galapagos. The land trips are adequate but you are there to dive.

We dove from Nov 23 to Dec 1. Saw tons and tons if hammerheads and 13 swims with the whale sharks. This was in addition to all the other great underwater life that Darwin missed.

New York
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Galapagos Diving trip

world_MD,

Myself & 6 buddies are arriving in Ecuador (Guayaquil) on the November 19th and hope to organize a dive trip to the Galapagos until November 29th.

Some in the group want to explore Ecuador, while others want to spend the complete 10 days diving throughout the Galapagos Islands. Some of us have approx 15 dives, while the others have 6 or so. . What would you recommend?

If we were to do the dive trip:

- How many days do we need / do you recommend?

- What is the availability on the live aboard / dive boats for our dates? How much do they cost?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Conor

Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,856 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Galapagos Diving trip

CONOR O, I seriously doubt any of the liveaboards would accept passengers with so few dives and just OW certs. The currents at Wolf and Darwin can be really nuts--reread my post #1 above. A liveaboard will cost $5000-6000 for a week's cruise. They are often booked up way in advance, like a year or more, and the chances of finding berths for seven people at this point are probably nil.

You can easily dive with land-based operators; I've not done that there but Scuba Iguana generally gets high marks. Two-tank dives will run around $150.