We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking a Cruise

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Picking a Cruise

Anyone out there experience Tip Top, the Cormorant, Athala, or Grace? We're looking for a "cushy" high-end cruise with carefully prepared food, great staff and itineraries, and cozy cabins.

Post your comments for the cruise you would chose out of these and post your reasons too please. If we've missed an obvious choice, be sure to tell us - if one of the above is not high end and we've missed the mark on that please also do tell!! Thank you all --

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking a Cruise

I'm a huge fan of the Tip Top fleet. We traveled on the TTII in 2009 and had a superb time. Terrific naturalist guide; wonderful crew, amazing food, spotlessly clean boat. Wittmer Turismo, the owner of the fleet, is a reputable, well-respected company. However, the other 3 boats you're considering are in a different class--luxury vs. first-class. So if you're looking for luxury, the TT fleet is probably not what you're looking for.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking a Cruise

Dear Mountain Girl,

you know how to pick them. These are all great ships. I would put Grace at the top of your list, followed by Athala, Cormorant and Tip Top. This is not to disparage Tip Top - as noted, you've identified very nice and well managed (also important!) ships. The Grace is the highest end of the lot - and will be significantly more expensive than the Tip Tops, which, while being comfortable and spacious, is not "luxury" class, but "first class". You'd have a wonderful time on any of them.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking a Cruise

We had the pleasure of staying on the Cormorant catamaran for 15 days while exploring Galapagos from Feb 2 to Feb 16, 2013. The entire crew were friendly and extremely helpful. The food was tasty and well-prepared, including local seafood prepared on a grill.

I liked that most of the sailing took place at night. The rooms were spacious and tastefully decorated. The tour agenda kept passengers busy every day. Our guide Javier was very knowledgeable and help me overcome my fear of snorkeling.

The only confusion was that the tip guideline suggested by Haugan cruises before our trip ($8-10 per person per day for guide, $10-20 per person per day for crew) was less than the amount suggested by the guideline provided by the crew ($15 per person per day for guide, $25 per person per day for crew) once we were on the boat.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking a Cruise

Mountain Girl,

My wife, son, his friend and I just got back from a week on The Grace. It was a really nice trip and I highly recommend the boat and crew. They really went beyond expectations anticipating our needs, preparing meals for the kids and the captain even went snorkeling with our son's friend because he was a little scared. I have thousands of pictures. I have yet to find a way to review The Grace on TA so I can upload some of them. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Gary

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picking a Cruise

We just came back from the Cormorant ... class act ... great staff, boat and crew .. best by far in the area by all accounts.

Check out my Galapagos videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/jchowaniec

6. Re: Picking a Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 04:17