We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Excited, but a little wary!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
Very Excited, but a little wary!

I leave for a tour of the Galapagos and Macchu Picchu in 2 weeks. I am getting along in years (61) and not in the best physical shape. I do walk regularly and am looking forward to the hikes listed on the tour. Several are rated as easy, 2 are intermediate and one is difficult. I am assuming I can do the easy, not to sure about intermediate and worried about difficult. Can anyone give me some idea of what they are like for someone my age?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,874 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very Excited, but a little wary!

You're a spring chicken compared to a lot of people who go to Galapagos. On my second trip, there was an 85 year old who managed all the hikes quite well. The guides will brief you on trail conditions the night before, and are used to assisting everyone on/off the boat and the panga, and your boat just might have walking sticks to help your balance on the more irregular trails. Most trails are pretty level with the occasional Blue-footed Booby you need to skirt around. It's no use worrying prematurely!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very Excited, but a little wary!

Hi, Jane--

If you know them, post the names/islands/however they refer to the landings that you're concerned about. Perhaps someone on this forum will know about those specific landings and can fill you in on what you might run into.

I'm with AZ--it's hard to imagine an outing rated as difficult, although I hear that the walk to Sierra Negra on Isabela can be a bit of a muddy slog if it's been raining. You might consider bringing a collapsible hiking staff with you (be sure to pack it in your check baggage). I brought one with me on my first trip when I was having back trouble; I found it really helpful for a bit of balance, a quick stretch, and a way to catch a short rest.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very Excited, but a little wary!

The only one I can think that may have been considered "difficult" on our trip was Bartolome and that was more because of the heat and going straight up, rather than anything that was really difficult (it was also the last hike of our trip and we were all a bit weary).

You are far from getting along in years, I'm your age and I have to say I'd have to tell someone otherwise, if they used those words in reference to me!!!

Have fun and forget about your age!!!

4. Re: Very Excited, but a little wary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 06:16