We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eclipse

Cape Town Central...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Eclipse

Hi All

I have been quoted a rate of $5400 per person in the Eclipse in August for a 7n trip. This seems quite a bit higher than what I anticipated. I have seen people on this forum talking about rates a lot lower for what I understand are equivalent quality luxury class cruises. My main reasons for going for the Eclipse are:

- I prefer a slightly smaller boat but spacious with slightly smaller groups for shore trips, as I understand

- I am a keen but relatively inexperienced photographer. The week I have chosen is the photographic week where i hope to learn quite a bit.

Whilst I would be willing to pay this rate if it is the "going rate" for this type of luxury cruise, I have seen rates on the Celebrity Xplorer (bigger I know) which are a lot lower. Does the above rate seem reasonable for the quality delivered?

I'd appreciate any comments

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eclipse

Thats the normal rate for the Eclipse per person based on 2 sharing. There are a couple of singles at $5600. They claim 1 guide to 12 passengers whereas the national park rules limit is 16. That can mean a bit more space in the pangas.

A small boat in galapagos is 16 passenger so at 48 its quite large - you will get 4 groups on shore at once.

Not sure what they offer on a photographic week but it sounds interesting. You might get more time stationary instead of walking the paths which is obviously a good thing for photography. Even better would be if they has shore visits very early morning or ending at sunset where you get better light. Many so called photography trips are little more than the standard crusie with a guide that has some interest though. Its worth asking what extra you are getting.

There are certainly some good boats at lower price but it depends what you are looking for. Most small boats do not have many facilities but that suits me as I just need safe passage, decent food and access to the right islands. I dont really care about library, boutique, jacuzzi, doctor. Internet. If you go too far downmarket though you can lose basics like dry, clean, edible food, safety, guide with good English.

Some of my photos are at www.dpphotoimages.com and include the location and equipment/exposure info.

Dave Peters

DP Software

2. Re: Eclipse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 06:17