We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seasickness on board boat visiting the islands for a week?

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
seasickness on board boat visiting the islands for a week?

Really need to be prepared before lst time visit to Galapagos. Do people get seasick? Any suggestions?

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,249 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seasickness on board boat visiting the islands for a week?

Wrong forum

england
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seasickness on board boat visiting the islands for a week?

Linda - although you are in the wrong forum, I can tell you that when I went in March this year the sea was so calm it was untrue and I had a fabulous time. Have a great time.

London, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: seasickness on board boat visiting the islands for a week?

The Maldivian sea was not very smooth over the last two weeks, and we had speedboat transfers! And a quick search of youtube finds this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrbA85NPVwA

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: seasickness on board boat visiting the islands for a week?

Hi linda,

Welcome to the forums. We have since moved your topic here to the Galapagos Islands as it was initially misplaced in the Maldives forums. Good luck with your trip planning (and the boat ride)!

Happy travels,

TA_Louise

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seasickness on board boat visiting the islands for a week?

Hi, Linda--

When are you visiting the Galápagos? That really makes a difference. The seas are calmest Jan. - April/May. They have the highest probability of being rough mid-Aug - Nov. or so. Note that that is a probability issue. The seas are not always lively during those months and rogue rough water can hit at any time. It is the ocean, after all.

Also, your itinerary can make a difference since the rough waters are most likely during those months on the open-water crossing to the outermost islands (Isabela, Fernandina, Genovesa, and Española). The waters around the more central islands are less prone to choppiness regardless of the season. Also, the size of the boat can make a difference--the large (~100-passenger) boats tend to be less affected by choppy waters than are the smaller (16- to 40-passenger) boats.

Plus, there's the individual-specific issues. Are YOU prone to motion sickness? Of course, some people just don't know beforehand. So I always suggest that everyone--prone to motion sickness or not, traveling during the higher- or low-probability times--bring some kind of motion sickness remedy. You just never know how your body will react. (My husband is a lifelong sailor and we were both surprised that he was affected by the motion, since we spent a good amount of time inside the boat--no horizon visible. Not his typical sailing experience.) And with so many good remedies on the market, there's no reason to take the risk of ruining a lovely adventure with a preventable situation.

So, if you give us a bit more info about your plans, we might be able to offer more specific help.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: seasickness on board boat visiting the islands for a week?

Thank you so much for the reply. We are going with National Geographic. Their boat sleeps 96 people. We are going Nov. 1st. My husband is prone to seasickness and always react with some side effect to medication. If the waters are generally smooth, he may be ok, but I guess it is a medical question. Will follow up.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seasickness on board boat visiting the islands for a week?

Yes, people do get seasick.

I went in April a couple years ago. We stayed in a hotel and did daytrips to other islands and several people were sea sick on our daytrip to Isabella (about two hours on a boat). We were on a smaller boat because it was just a daytrip so maybe on a larger boat it's not so bad.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
555 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seasickness on board boat visiting the islands for a week?

Thank you TA-Louise for clearing up that this has been moved- I was beginning to worry about myself!

Linda- has your husband tried the sea bands? Many people swear by them. Also, lots of ginger helps- you can get pills and also candy. And then there are patches which might work for him. I would try out the various possibilities here on land to see how he responds. My husband also gets mildly seasick so we will bring along a combination of things, plus a lot of hope since we are going in Feb on one of the larger ships.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: seasickness on board boat visiting the islands for a week?

Linda...big boat. That should help. Still..pack the Dramamine. Can't help much because I never get seasick. I once traveled with a woman and her kids and they all wore a wristband on the small boats. Worked for them. However, when we then took a bus trip on a winding mountain road she spent it puking in the bus bathroom. Even with the wrist band.

10. Re: seasickness on board boat visiting the islands for a week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 05:17