We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hints, tips, advice

Sydney
Level Contributor
88 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Hints, tips, advice

Currently booked on Ecoadventure cruise on either Eric, Letty or Flamingo in May 2014 covering the southern and central islands. From the research I have done trips on these boats seem to have received excellent reviews.

I am seeking any general hints, tips or advice for our trip.

We are booked on Dolphin Deck - double bed room or twin bed room better??

I assume underwater camera is a must???. Have good SLR for normal photos.

I assume I can recharge my camera on board - same power supply as mainland???

Fitness level required???

Anything else you may think will be helpful will be appreciated

Thanks in advance, Mark

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hints, tips, advice

Hi, Mark--

If you haven't already seen it, you can find a page on my trip report where I gathered suggestions of things to bring/consider/whatever not only from our own 2 trips but also from many suggestions folks have made on this forum: …wordpress.com/practicalities/… .

Fitness level depends on your specific landings and itinerary. I found several of the walks on Isabela & Fernandina to be a bit more challenging than nearly every walk on the central & eastern islands. Generally speaking, moderately fit people will have no problems with any of them.

Your boat will have the same outlets that you find on the mainland of Ecuador. No problem recharging.

Tina

trip report (and much more) at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hints, tips, advice

Double or twin beds -- your preference. For potentially choppy seas, you may be more comfortable in separate beds.

underwater camera -- nice to have, though the water may be a bit murky in May.

Electricity -- make sure you have a suitable adapter so you can physically plug your charger into the wall sockets. Australian plugs are two oblique flat blades with vertical ground between and below them, right? Ecuadorian plugs are two flat (as in US), or two round, plugs. I'm not sure when the ELF ships have, but it's worth checking in advance to make sure you bring along whatever you need to plug your charger in.

Sydney
Level Contributor
88 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hints, tips, advice

Hi Tina,

Thanks for the reply, only had a quick glance - looks sensational and better than any guide book I have seen.

Have a lot of reading ahead of me. Have a great New Year

Thanks, Mark

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,458 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hints, tips, advice

The ELF boats have the standard American-style outlets and voltage; this is a good Web site for checking out electricity needs in foreign countries www.travel-images.com/electric-plugs.html

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hints, tips, advice

Great link for the international electrical plugs. Thanks!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hints, tips, advice

A question re getting a cheap phone for use in Equador?

My old cell phone does not have a SIm card (capacity)-- so i hope to get a phone while in the country-- as we will need to make contact with a few people while there in February?

Can anyone give advice re how they managed re phones??-- where to get one, possible cost, etc

Thanks, Frances.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
719 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hints, tips, advice

Frances, wifi is everywhere on Santa Cruz and Isabela. Of course, not on the boats, but then you won't have a cell signal most of the time either. The boats do have satellite phones/email for "a price".

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hints, tips, advice

Frances,

The best was to manage a phone in Galápagos is to leave it at home. Or if you must stay in touch with civilization, Galápagos is not the place to go. The idea is to get away from all that stuff, not bring it with you.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,280 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hints, tips, advice

Frances, sometimes it is confusing when you ask new questions in another person's thread. My guess is you want the phone on mainland Ecuador. Go to the Ecuador forum and use the Search feature above the list of questions. Lots of threads about phones. Easiest might just be the airport.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 01:47
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
719 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hints, tips, advice

Like I said, I just spent over 2 weeks in The Galapagos and it seems that The Galapagos has FOUND civilization. I stayed in touch with my friends + family, uploaded photos on facebook to make them jealous, yet STILL managed to have a fantastic time. Imagine that!

Get answers to your questions about Galapagos Islands