We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving tomorrow for the Letty-packed and ready-is it humid?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving tomorrow for the Letty-packed and ready-is it humid?

I am packed and ready- I am taking double of what was on our suggested list- 2-3 pairs of shorts& shirts for 9 days.... Is it humid- we are on the Letty boat

What's attire at night-just taking a few casual dresses-when do we get back to boat after afternoon trip?

is there space to sit in the sun on the boat?

I've been reading reviews on our boat-food looks delicious and it sounds like a great itinerary with a great crew!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,872 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving tomorrow for the Letty-packed and ready-is it humid?

I was on the Letty's sister (brother?) boat Eric and there is plenty of room on the top deck as well as a sort of hidden, almost private deck behind the bow. Dress is very casual, shorts and Ts are fine. It really does sound like you are taking too much clothes; I would like to hear from you later if you wore them all!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving tomorrow for the Letty-packed and ready-is it humid?

Dear HL -

this is the warm season - it will be humid in the morning, and will get less so as the day warms up. It may be a bit cool (relatively) inside the ship, with the AC on. But overall, it's a very casual environment, as notes AZ above. Space for luggage is limited in the cabins - keep that in mind. Consider bringing a soft sided bag you can easily tuck away into corners.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving tomorrow for the Letty-packed and ready-is it humid?

I now am taking a little less now - I am under weight limit too... just seems like a lot with the shoes etc...I have a room to myself so hopefully the bag won't be in the way..so long

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving tomorrow for the Letty-packed and ready-is it humid?

Three of us will be sharing a cabin on one of the ELF Ecoventura boats in late Mar/early April, Any advice/tips now that you have been? I've read a lot online, but seeking more first hand tips! We will have a few days before in Quito and a few days after in Guayquil. Thanks if you only have one or two tips to add to what I have read.

Specific questions--For snorkeling-are there enough wet suits to go around--without having to take turns? Should I take my own mask & snorkel? My own wet suit? I too am trying to pack minimally but love to snorkel so really I hope to spend a lot of time doing that!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving tomorrow for the Letty-packed and ready-is it humid?

Rooms are very tight- I was very fortunate to have my own room... you can wear clothes over and over.. we did run out of larger wet suits but they retrieved them from another boat- several ended up not wearing them after the 2nd day.. some brought own masks/snorkels but there are plenty on boat...it was so much fun- wish I was back there as we just had 3 days in an ice storm in Alabama... feel fre to ask more /'s ... very organized trips and food was so healthy and delicious-I lost a pound.... lots of exercise and snorkeling opportunities...

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,872 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving tomorrow for the Letty-packed and ready-is it humid?

CHE, I reserved in advance--for a nominal fee--a wetsuit on the Eric. And since you love snorkeling, definitely take your own mask and snorkel so you know it fits well, and you're not having to scramble to get a good one on board.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving tomorrow for the Letty-packed and ready-is it humid?

Thanks for your earlier reply and I hope the weather has settled down for you. Our trip is only days away now; getting excited! Couple of questions-Shoes-I am taking a pair of Keene shoes, simple Croc style sandals and a pair of walking type shoes-will these suffice? Tipping the staff--with three of us sharing a cabin, we are thinking a little less than the suggested $200 per person. Do you have any advice about this? I welcome any advice you have surrounding the trip.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving tomorrow for the Letty-packed and ready-is it humid?

Thanks. Any thoughts on Quito & Guayaquil?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving tomorrow for the Letty-packed and ready-is it humid?

And--Any thoughts on Quito & Guayaquil--I am concerned about safety and also tips for travel from Quito hotel to the airport?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving tomorrow for the Letty-packed and ready-is it humid?

I wore Keens most days but they will get sand in them. Some wore tennis shoes. They will tell you which shoes to wear the night before. I believe we all tipped $175 but gave tip to bartender last night. He does a lot and deserves it! Have a great time. It's amazing!!