We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a beanie next week?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a beanie next week?

A friend that scuba dives thought I may want to take a beanie- we are only snorkeling. Do u think it's needed. We are from the south

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a beanie next week?

In 20 or so trips, I've never seen anyone snorkeling with a beanie. What you will need is waterproof sunscreen, especially on the back of your legs, AND a tee-shirt to keep the sun off your back. See the "Sunscreen Strength" thread farther down the page for more.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a beanie next week?

Ok good he is a diver. I called and they said water is 75*

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
557 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a beanie next week?

Oh I do hope it warms up a bit over the next month! 75 degrees is chilly

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,539 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a beanie next week?

Well, John, you obviously weren't with ME two years ago! I brought, and used, a beanie for snorkeling, but lent it most of the time to a woman who'd lost all her hair after chemo. I wore a bandanna then. Any bit that keeps your head warmer helps.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a beanie next week?

>>Well, John, you obviously weren't with ME two years ago!

Azbuceadora, you're absolutely right that I wasn't with you (in December 2011 on La Pinta). I guess I'm just thick skinned (or maybe just a hot-head?) -- to me I'd think a beanie would just "get in the way" a bit. Were you at all uncomfortable without it?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,539 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a beanie next week?

I'm a diver and I don't care how warm the water is, I wear that beanie. It looks like an old-fashioned aviator's cap (think Amelia Earhart), covering my ears and fastening under the chin. Definitely doesn't get in the way of anything. It makes a big difference in my comfort so I can maximize time in the water.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need a beanie next week?

5Waldos--

You may want to be prepared, because ~77 F is pretty much the average water temperature Feb. - April--not that much warmer than 75 F. If you're going to the western islands (Isabela and Fernandina), you'll find the water considerably cooler over there than in the eastern/central islands.

Tina

trip reports (and much more) at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need a beanie next week?

I'm thinking that I'll run by and get one

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
557 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need a beanie next week?

ztsipapu- a girl can hope-yes?

We will have wetsuits but I am a spoiled lass- we did most of our water play in 85-86 degree water- the perfect temperature.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need a beanie next week?

A girl can indeed hope--although water temps like those in the Galápagos might find you in the middle of a major El Niño event! A dream for land wildlife; a nightmare for wildlife that live off the marine wildlife. So be careful what you wish for...

Of course, no El Niño is currently in place. So the best you can hope for is the high end of average temps. After all, an average is just that--some temps must be higher since some are lower. Here's hoping you get lucky!

Tina

trip reports (and much more) at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/