We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

return flight to Quito or Guayaquil?

LAKELAND FL
Level Contributor
107 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
return flight to Quito or Guayaquil?

I have booked our Galapagos trip and am getting ready to book flights. I am planning on flying into Quito three days prior to our Galapagos trip and spending time there. On the return flight I am seriously considering flying out of Guayaquil since that is the first stop off the islands.I realize it would be more expensive but I thought it would give me half a day in Guayaquil to explore since I would not be able to get a flight to the US the same day we leave the Galapagos. Typically what time do island flight get back to Guayaquil? Or would the recommendation be to fly to Quito where I would just have to hang out at a hotel close to the new airport waiting for my next day flight.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: return flight to Quito or Guayaquil?

JB, flight time from Galápagos to Guayaquil is ballpark 2 hours -- departure time depends on which airport (Baltra or San Cristóbal), day of the week and airline (TAME or Aerogal). It should be less, not more, expensive than flying to Quito. There's lots to do in Guayaquil, and you could easily spend another full day there.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: return flight to Quito or Guayaquil?

Maybe if your international airline code shares with LAN, it will be possible to book US - Quito -Galapagos - Guayaquil - US as a round trip. If you have to book US - Quito and Guayaquil - US as separate routes then it will probably double your international cost as they tend to rip you off for one way routes.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: return flight to Quito or Guayaquil?

Dave, you're right about the one-way ripoffs, but I've been doing JFK/UIO and GYE/JFK for years -- mostly as a so-called "open jaw" round trip, at regular round trip pricing. I haven't done this for awhile though, as my last trip was a straight JFK/UIO/JFK ticket. My client is in Quito, and I had to "report in" at both ends of the cruise. Otherwise, I prefer stopping in GYE on at least one leg of the trip.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: return flight to Quito or Guayaquil?

Dear JB,

Guayaquil is worth a good 1/2 day visit if you can squeeze it in. A stroll down the Malecon 2000 by the wide Guayas river, watching the vegetation rafts float down, thinking that's what likely brought life to Galapagos so many years ago... Also, the nearby "Iguana Park" where iguanas litterally are falling from the sky - and you get an idea of what Charles Darwin (his B-day today!) was thinking about when he noted how similar looking, but yet different, the species were in Galapagos compared to the mainland... and the Guayaquil airport is near to many decent hotels, unlike the Quito airport.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: return flight to Quito or Guayaquil?

Heather,

I like Hotel Unipark in GYE -- it's right across the street from Parque Iguana -- it's amazing these iguanas are too smart to leave the park and get themselves killed in traffic. Oh, and from the hotel it's just a short stroll to Malecón 2000. And Parque Historico on the other side of the river is great too.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: return flight to Quito or Guayaquil?

Might be too late now, but we when I found out we could go from Miami straight to Guayaquil, I booked that route and did the trip last month. As others have said, you can spend a nice day in Guayaquil. On the inbound we spent 2 nights at the historic Mansion del Rio and did the Malecon. On the return, our flight came in from the islands at about 4 pm and we booked an overnight at the airport Holiday Inn, since our return flight to Miami was at 7 am. This was a great choice, as you can walk to the hotel from the airport and it is a beautiful new Holiday Inn. We were exhausted after 7 nights on a yacht and ordered room service. Very relaxing.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: return flight to Quito or Guayaquil?

Might be too late now, but we when I found out we could go from Miami straight to Guayaquil, I booked that route and did the trip last month. As others have said, you can spend a nice day in Guayaquil. On the inbound we spent 2 nights at the historic Mansion del Rio and did the Malecon. On the return, our flight came in from the islands at about 4 pm and we booked an overnight at the airport Holiday Inn, since our return flight to Miami was at 7 am. This was a great choice, as you can walk to the hotel from the airport and it is a beautiful new Holiday Inn. We were exhausted after 7 nights on a yacht and ordered room service.

8. Re: return flight to Quito or Guayaquil?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 07:18