We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Flying from Guayaquil to Islands and back to Quito

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage Flying from Guayaquil to Islands and back to Quito

Hi,

We are flying into Guayaquil, spending a few days on the coast and then going to the Galapagos for a weeks cruise. We are then flying from the Galapagos to Quito. We will probably have more luggage that we are allowed to bring on the Galapagos flights, Can we leave it in Guayaquil and pick it up on the way back to Quito (the flight seems to stop there)? Is there a better way of doing it?

Thanks,

Kevin

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,317 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Flying from Guayaquil to Islands and back to Quito

No one is allowed off the flight in Guayaquil if booked to Quito. There is a nominal fee for overweight or excess baggage to Galapagos. You should find the specifics on your airline's website, and it has been discussed on this forum before so try using the Search box above the list of forum 'questions'. Note that the default sort result is by 'relevance'.

I just returned from a month in Ecuador with carry on only. Unfortunately, due to the itineraries, there was never one place that I returned to where I could leave a bag (as the Quito airport does not offer lockers) so I had to drag it around. This included what I would need to travel home to a Canadian Winter. I still found I overpacked some things, and in Galapagos, found I just kept washing a few sets of clothing that worked the best. If travelling on one of the smaller yachts, no one is a fashion model or cares whether you wear the same thing over and over again. Consider packing less and having some things laundered on the mainland, and do quick hand washes onboard. Otherwise, pay the excess baggage costs. Seems they are quite affordable.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Flying from Guayaquil to Islands and back to Quito

Thanks Quiltingmamma, looks like we will just pay the excess.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Flying from Guayaquil to Islands and back to Quito

Make sure you will have enough room in your cabin to store your luggage. Many of the cabins are very small and it is often a struggle to find a place to put cases.

The other alternative would be to break your return journey in Guayaquil and find a friendly hotel that will keep your luggage while you do the Galapagos trip.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Peru, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Flying from Guayaquil to Islands and back to Quito

What about fkying back to Quito and continuing on to Santiago on a different airline? Does anyonr know about the luggage/immigration processes at the quito airport?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage Flying from Guayaquil to Islands and back to Quito

It would be the same as changing at any airport. Unless the departing airline were in the same code-share as the arriving airline, you would have to pick up your bags and recheck them to Santiago. Immigration doesn't usually take very long.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
219 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage Flying from Guayaquil to Islands and back to Quito

Hi Kevin,

There is actually a way to do what you are asking, but it requires you to have a layover of at least an hour and a half in Guayaquil before continuing on to Quito (when returning from Galapagos). If flying LAN, Aerogal or Tame, you can probably request that they book you on a later flight from Guayaquil to Quito so you can get off the plane in Guayaquil. Price should not vary as all of these airlines have several daily flights from Guayaquil to Quito.

In Guayaquil's airport you will find a service on the bottom floor to store luggage. They can store your bags for you while you are in Galapagos. The cost is $8 / bag / day.

Hope this info helps.

7. Re: Baggage Flying from Guayaquil to Islands and back to Quito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 05:15