We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable price for 5-day Galapagos cruise?

Rockville, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Reasonable price for 5-day Galapagos cruise?

Hello TripAdvisor community,

I have a question for those of you who have traveled/are traveling to the Galapagos Islands.

I was quoted a little less than $2,000 for a 5-day cruise in late May on a mid-range boat (the class higher than tourist), including airfare to/from Quito. In your experience, is this a reasonable price? Given that I'm visiting in late May, should I wait to book closer to the date or do so at Quito or at Baltra itself?

Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer!

Toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable price for 5-day Galapagos cruise?

That's a very reasonable rate if it includes flights, as flights are around $400 or so. When shopping around it never hurts to get a few quotes from different agencies. It will be cheaper if you wait until you are in Quito or Guayaquil....but you will risk not getting a boat or itinerary you want.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable price for 5-day Galapagos cruise?

Prices vary quite a bit even within a category. In one level up from the cheapest I would expect prices to run from about $2100 to around $3400 with airfare before any last minute discount.

Don't forget you will have to pay $100 national park fee and tips.

You can't book a cruise at Baltra. If you arrive without a cruise, you will have to transfer to Puerto Ayora, stay at least 1 night and book with a local agent there. I would only recommend that if you are going to stay on land for some time and hence have flexibility on your departure date.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
66 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable price for 5-day Galapagos cruise?

A huge amount of info is available on another conversation. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294310-i6637-k606…

if that link does not get you there, just look for How to Book a Galapagos Cruise?

The longer you wait, the less expensive it will be if you play the game.

The immediately above posting is accurate. To do the best in savings, get to Santa Cruz and look for truly last minute cruises. People speak highly of Moonrise Agency in Santa Cruz for getting a last minute deal. To do this you have to be a calculated risk taker and be able to deal with a lack of certainty.

4. Re: Reasonable price for 5-day Galapagos cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 04:20