We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freighter runs aground in the Galapagos

London
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Freighter runs aground in the Galapagos

A freighter containing 60,000 litres of fuel oil has run aground off San Cristobal. Apparently there is no immediate threat to the environment

…yahoo.com/freighter-runs-aground-galapagos-…

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freighter runs aground in the Galapagos

Thanks for this Crelston,

it sounds like a repeat of the Jessica, which ran aground at the same place in early 2001 - but the Jessica was a small oil - bunker fuel ship, and it ended up spilling most of that into the sea. This one (The "Orca") is a cargo ship, and the park reports that it is succeeding in getting most of the fuel from its tanks out.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Freighter runs aground in the Galapagos

I wonder how many ships have to run aground before the word gets out to sail around Arrecife Schiavoni, not over it<g>. As for the ship's name, what on earth does "Galapaface I" mean? There's no such word in any language that I know of.

I'm going to Quito and Guayaquil next week for the "Satan" film screenings -- it's tempting to fly out for a quick look, but I guess I'll resist temptation. Oh well.

Middletown, Delaware
Level Contributor
223 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freighter runs aground in the Galapagos

I haven't been able to find updates on the situation. Have they been able to successfully remove the fuel to avoid a spill?

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Freighter runs aground in the Galapagos

It's a puzzlement -- lots of news reports cite "National Park authorities" (or similar), but there's not a word about this on the galapagospark.org website. Also interesting -- no one has stated if the ship went aground at Arrecife Schiavoni, as did the Jessica and others. They all say "near Puerto B. Moreno" without giving a specific location. But comparing the photos of Jessica and Galapaface, it sure looks like they came to grief at the same spot.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Freighter runs aground in the Galapagos

A recent update I saw said the 14,000 gallons of the 16,000 gallons of fuel have been removed and the owners have brought in a tug to help the team of salvation folks already on scene: tradewindsnews.com/casualties/337378/aground… .

Tina

trip reports (and much more) at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freighter runs aground in the Galapagos

The updates I get from the park indicate that the fuel has all but been safely removed, and that the ship`s name is "Orca".

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Freighter runs aground in the Galapagos

I guess I'm looking in the wrong place(s), but I can't find a word from GNP on this. And as for the ship name, "Galapaface I" is painted on the hull. I wonder where "Orca" came from?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Freighter runs aground in the Galapagos

This just came in seconds ago - noting that the ship is starting to list a little more. My guess is that this one will join the Jessica, and eventually fall to pieces and become another scuba diving interest point. The name here is quoted as "Galapaface"...

Esta mañana, el Comité de Operaciones de Emergencia (COE) de San Cristóbal evaluó la situación del barco Galapaface I, varado en Punta Carola, desde el pasado viernes, dado que las condiciones oceanográficas presentes durante esta madrugada provocaron la inclinación de la embarcación hacia su lado izquierdo.

La evaluación determinó que la situación actual de la embarcación amerita mayores esfuerzos por lo que se activó el Comité de Operaciones de Emergencia (COE) a nivel provincial, presidido por el Gobernador, Jorge Torres, a fin de canalizar acciones regionales para el salvataje de la nave.

El Ministerio del Ambiente, a través de la Dirección del Parque Nacional Galápagos (DPNG), mantiene un monitoreo permanente en la zona del encallamiento para medir y mitigar las posibles afectaciones ambientales que se produjeran.

Desde el día del siniestro, los técnicos de la DPNG han colocado barreras de contención de derrames y paños absorbentes de hidrocarburos alrededor de la nave para evitar la dispersión de cualquier producto que pudiera salir del barco. Otro grupo de funcionarios están inspeccionando las orillas para evaluar las condiciones de la zona.

Al momento, las Sea Ranger 7 y Sea Ranger 3 (lanchas rápidas), de la DPNG, se mantienen alrededor del Galapaface I, para asistir a la tripulación de la nave ante cualquier necesidad.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Freighter runs aground in the Galapagos

Replying to myself, but maybe this is the "Orca" source:

vesseltracker.com/es/Ships/Galapaface-1-7805…

'On May 11, 14.000 gallons of fuel have been drained from the "Galapaface I" off San Cristobal onto the "Gabarra Orca". '

Livermore...
Level Contributor
219 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Freighter runs aground in the Galapagos

Here is the latest news on the incident. The salvage process is going to take a while, but at least the environmental concerns are very minor:

Quito (AFP) - An Ecuadoran freighter ran aground in the Galapagos islands, but "for the moment" does not pose a threat to the Pacific archipelago's unique environment, the Galapagos National Park said.

The vessel, which ran aground off the island of San Cristobal, was carrying 16,000 gallons (more than 60,000 liters) of fuel oil. Currently about 14,000 gallons have been removed.

An inspection "confirmed that the part of the vessel that is on the rocks is distant from the fuel tanks," the park said.

"So for the moment it does not represent an environmental risk," it added.

Authorities, however, were drawing up contingency plans in case of a spill, it said.

The ship's cargo also is being offloaded to make it lighter in hopes that a high tide will lift it off the rocks.

The Ecuadoran-owned island chain, which is located 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) from the mainland, is famous for unique flora and fauna studied by Charles Darwin during the voyage of the Beagle as he developed his theory of evolution.