We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrity Xpedition - the ONLY way to travel in Galapagos

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Celebrity Xpedition - the ONLY way to travel in Galapagos

We just got back from our 10-day vacation to Quito, Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands. I cannot say enough great things about this whole experience. I will remember it always. We chose to book our airfare to and from Quito on our own - but once we arrived in Quito, Celebrity handled EVERYTHING! Ground transfers, meals in Quito, a tour of Quito, tips for tour guides, 2 nights pre-cruise and 1 night post-cruise at the gorgeous JW Marriott hotel (VERY nice), a separate check-in desk at the hotel, and then, of course, EVERYTHING on the ship. All drinks are included (wine, beer, champagne, and all cocktails!). ALL food (and boy howdy, there's a lot of food and it's phenomenal!) is included. All excursions are included - and it's not like a typical cruise where you have to choose from too many things you want to do. Each day, the excursions are practically the same, but differing in their intensity...so the decisions were always easy. Seriously, the list goes on and on and I'll probably run out of room soon. If you want more information about this trip, simply write back to let me know, and I'm happy to provide. Also - I'm happy to give you info. on dress code. We may have over-packed, but we brought the perfect clothes - and I'd love to make it easier on someone wondering what in the world to bring. Bon Voyage!!!!

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebrity Xpedition - the ONLY way to travel in Galapagos

Stefiharr, I'd like to hear more. We are going in November and I can hardly wait! My understanding is that the dress code is pretty casual onboard. What was your favorite island? Did anyone dive? How was the snorkeling?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebrity Xpedition - the ONLY way to travel in Galapagos

Hi there. Yes, it is very casual - during the day, you wear shorts and t-shirts (and hats). Some days are tennis shoe days and some are sandals/teva-type days. At night, we got a little gussied-up - nothing fancy - just no jeans - we wore nice skirts or pants and tops. I was there with my mom for her 60th b-day. Some went more casual than us. We felt like we wanted to look nice. For guys, slacks and a shirt will be just fine. They say no jeans in the brochure, but a few people did wear them. I would highly recommend 3-4 swimsuits. There were days where we snorkeled in the am and then sailed to the next island (being on the boat for up to 4 hours) and then would need a swimsuit for the afternoon. Getting out of the wet one and having a dry one available was a must. They don't really dry overnight (after a couple nights, yes, but one night - nope) b/c you are hanging them inside and it just takes a while.

We did so much that it's hard to remember a favorite island. I feel like we did pretty much the same thing on each island - hiking, seeing animals, snorkeling. Yes, each island is unique in its landscape and animals, but all are incredible. It's not like Hawaii where each island offers such a different experience that you can so easily pick your favorite(s). Yes - on the last snorkel day, 2 people went diving (the last island was a heavy diving attraction). It was a separate "excursion." The snorkeling was AMAZING everywhere! The water was gorgeous, but cold. The best was when we just jumped out of the Zodiac into the deep waters - it felt so adventurous! I loved it!!! Getting in the water from the beach was harder b/c you felt the cold more. But, heck, you're in the Galapagos - you gotta suck it up and enjoy the moment - ya know! :) They give you wetsuits and all if your snorkel equipment. They treat you to great snacks and drinks each time you get back on the ship. We swam with sea lions (tons of them), penguins, turtles, saw a shark in the water, saw pretty fish, etc.

The whole experience was truly incredible. I took over 900 photos. Make sure you bring a couple of disposable underwater cameras, too. Let me know if I can provide more info. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the whole trip!

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebrity Xpedition - the ONLY way to travel in Galapagos

Thanks for the reply. I will probably bring capris and tops for dinner. Maybe a sundress. I'm still trying to decide whether or not we want to dive. I've yet to hear back from anyone who actually dove while on the Xpedition. I did hear that it's pretty expensive.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebrity Xpedition - the ONLY way to travel in Galapagos

hi. again, there was only one island for diving, and it was the last day, and you simply let the cruise director know that you are interested. they'll then work with you on it.

capris, tops, sundresses - that's all perfect! :):):)

detroit, michigan
Level Contributor
298 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebrity Xpedition - the ONLY way to travel in Galapagos

Thanks for the information. My wife and I will be on the Xpedition near the end of October. Among other things, I'm trying to figure out what kind of shoes to take. I saw that you mentioned tennis shoes and Tevas - is this pretty much all you need for the excursions? I've heard some people say that they took some sort of aquashoes and heavier hiking shoes/boots - woud these be of any use? Obviously I'd like to take as few shoes as possible.

detroit, michigan
Level Contributor
298 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Celebrity Xpedition - the ONLY way to travel in Galapagos

One more question. I had heard previously that many people have had various GI problems on this trip - both in Quito and on the ship. Was there much of this going on during your trip? Did you take any special precautions such as any medications or did you simply avoid ice, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc? Also, did the altitude in Quito cause you any problems?

detroit, michigan
Level Contributor
298 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Celebrity Xpedition - the ONLY way to travel in Galapagos

One more question. I had heard previously that many people have had various GI problems on this trip - both in Quito and on the ship. Was there much of this going on during your trip? Did you take any special precautions such as any medications or did you simply avoid ice, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc? Also, did the altitude in Quito cause you any problems?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Celebrity Xpedition - the ONLY way to travel in Galapagos

For excursions - tennis shoes and teva-type sandals are all you need. the hiking is not such that you need major hiking shoes. I brought an extra pair of tennis shoes, but never wore them - not necessary. :)

There were no GI issues on our trip - in Quito or on the ship. The hotel in Quito is VERY nice, and we ate breakfast there twice and dinner there once. Nice restaurants. The other places we ate in Quito were arranged by Celebrity and were nice restaurants. I don't think there's any cause for worry. We didn't take any medications. The food on the boat is incredible - totally FIRST CLASS. The altitute didn't bother anyone on our trip - and there was someone there wtih asthma - and she was ok. :)

I'm happy to answer any more questions. :)

detroit, michigan
Level Contributor
298 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Celebrity Xpedition - the ONLY way to travel in Galapagos

stefiharr - thanks so much for the feedback and information. Sounds like you had a great time, I'm really looking foward to the trip. I don't have any additional questions right now, but I'm sure that I'll come up with some.

10. Re: Celebrity Xpedition - the ONLY way to travel in Galapagos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2006, 20:41