We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos 20kg baggage limit: where to leave extra

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Galapagos 20kg baggage limit: where to leave extra

We are thinking of flying from US to Guayaquil, staying there one night, then flying to Galapagos (SCY airport) in the morning. Returning from Galapagos (GPS airport) to Quito, with a 50 min connection in Guayaquil. We will have more than 20kg of baggage, so we would like to leave some in Guayaquil airport baggage storage, and then pick it up during the 50 min connection. My questions are:

1. Can we leave baggage in Guayaquil airport storage for 8 days ?

2. Would 50 minutes connection be enough to pick it up, or we might have to move between terminals in the Guayaquil airport ?

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapagos 20kg baggage limit: where to leave extra

mikeivk2000,

That 50-minute "connection" in GYE is actually not a connection. It's a pause to let GYE passengers depart and board new passengers going from GYE to UIO. Since you're flying GPS to UIO, you stay on the same plane. Thus, there's no chance to pick up anything stored in GYE. Your best bet is to pay the excess baggage charge and take it with you -- which might be cheaper than storing it anyway; but that of course depends on how much extra stuff you're carrying.

And a Quito postscript: be prepared for a lo-o-o-ng ride from airport to city. Depending on time and day, it can be more than 1 hour -- ditto for the return to the airport for your departure to US. I just got back from Quito and Guayaquil earlier this week. Traffic in the former is the worst I've ever experienced, anywhere.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galapagos 20kg baggage limit: where to leave extra

Re-think your luggage! Pack light. We make a list and stick to it, it's really easy to take less than 20kg if you are smart about it. Have a good look at the weather conditions and see what you will actually need. You can get things like hiking pants that have zip off bottoms that can double as shorts etc. You can always buy additional things in Ecuador if you are desperate. Good luck.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
171 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galapagos 20kg baggage limit: where to leave extra

There are many laundry shops on the Galapagos islands that are cheap, and quick. If you leave your clothes in the morning, you can get it back in the evening. The last time I went there, my luggage weighed about 27 kilos, and I paid an excess baggage fee of $11.40. I would suggest, just packing 2 days of outdoor wear, shoes (1 pair for trekking), 1 swim wear, and your camera. Maybe a sweater or a jacket if you are planning to stay in Quito for a few days after. You are going to back home with a lot of souvenir bought from there. :)

4. Re: Galapagos 20kg baggage limit: where to leave extra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 05:16