We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Land tour providers

Danville, California
14 posts
Save Topic
Land tour providers

We are a group of 4 adults in our 60's planning on visiting the Galapagos on a land tour in Feb 2015. We are considering using one of the following companies: Come To Galapagos, Galapagos Alternative, or Red Mangrove Tour. Has anyone had any experience with these companies? Any recommendations and insights would be appreciated.

Thank you

Livermore...
Level Contributor
219 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Land tour providers

I like the Red Mangrove as they can help to get you to multiple islands Santa Cruz, Floreana, Isabela and San Cristobal and do it as one package including the activities. They either own properties or are partnered with them on each of these islands. Probably the easiest, if not the best option is to let them do all the logistics for you.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Land tour providers

You should also check out Galakiwi. Web site is www.galakiwi.com. We took their trip a couple of years ago and it was excellent. Great guide, great service. Group was small, about 15 or 16 of us. Wife and I are both in our 60s. Trip was very active. but nothing we could not handle as they were very accomodating. We actually booked the trip in conjunction with a week long mainland trip through Active Adventures http://activeadventures.com/. By booking both, we got $1000 each off the total price.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Land tour providers

Red Mangrove are good, I have stayed in their Santa Cruz lodge and also in their cabins on Floreana although I didn't book a package. Since they have properties on multiple islands, you can get tours between those islands without having to return to Santa Cruz each day - saving a couple of hours a day.

If you must do a land based trip, try to get one or two day trips to the uninhabited islands added to the tour. Red Mangrove can do that for you. There is a big difference between the populated islands that you can do as unrestricted land tours and the more special wildlife islands that are strictly controlled by the national park. These day trips give you a taste of the real Galapagos - effectively the same as you would get on a cruise but one island per day instead of two. You still won't get to the more distant islands as they are only available to cruises.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Land tour providers

Just get back from Galapagos. The cheapest one is Isalobos. She is nice but does not speak much English. All tour operators are basically the same. If you want to see Seymour, make reservation as soon as you get there. Las Grietas is closed for cleaning for 3 months starting from August 18.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
829 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Land tour providers

We used Red Mangrove when we did our Maccu Picchu - Galapagos trip in April 2012. We took their Darwin's Triangle tour which started when we landed at noon on a Wednesday and departed at noon on Sunday. We visited Santa Cruz, Floreana and Isabella. The guide, food, accommodations and overall arrangements were fine. Our group was only 10 people and we got along well. Our only regret was not having more opportunities to snorkel as it was quite something swimming with the sea turtles and other wild life. We had no problems with the speedboat trips between the islands.

Toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Land tour providers

Depends what you're looking for? Red Mangrove has their own hotels/resorts and are less "adventurous" from their groups I have seen. So if you want to relax a bit, while having more comfort, they are a good choice for mixing activities with down time.

If you want to stay at more personable hotels and get to know the people of the islands more, then go with Come to Galapagos, Galapagos Alternative or Galakiwi. And if you want to do a lot of activities and stay busy, I believe Galakiwi is the most active of the bunch.

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Land tour providers

Do you know if Galakiwi and Active Adventures are the same? They appear to have the same 10 Day Galapagos tour, same dates and islands.

Toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Land tour providers

I believe they sell the same tours. The difference is Galakiwi is local, so more money will stay in Ecuador when you book with them. From what I recall, all of the big / international tour company's have to have a "partner" for their Galapagos tours, unless they have an office with local staff in the Galapagos.

New Jersey
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Land tour providers

Do have the website or e-mail address of Isalobos?

Thanks

10. Re: Land tour providers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2016, 05:17