We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different jungle options

new york
Level Contributor
718 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Different jungle options

I'm trying to sort out the different jungle areas. Can someone please explain the difference between Manu, Puerto Maldonado and Tambopata. At least I know where Iquitos is. Thanks for your help.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
165 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Different jungle options

Manu is in the deaprtamento de madre de dios.(mother of god) and puerto maldonado is the biggest city?. well from cusco you take a plane to puerto maldonado and i think manu(which is the reservation) shouildnt be far from there. i dont know about tambopata. to be honest, jungle is jungle anywhere the amazon rainforest.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different jungle options

You can google 'Manu Biosphere Reserve' and get information but it is mainly tour companies. All the tour company sites will have good information. You can also go to this site for an overview on Manu Biosphere Reserve. peru-guide.com/peru_05_The_Jungle_048_Manu_

Biosphere_Reserve.htm

Manu is a National Park that covers from the Andes down through cloud forest to lowland jungle. You can drive down through these different ecosystems or if you are more interested in just Amazonian jungle you can fly directly to Boca Manu from Cusco and then travel upriver to the Reserve Zone. Puerto Maldonado is a jungle city with an airport that services Lima and Cusco. There are jungle lodges outside of Puerto Maldonado. Tambopata is a reserve area along the Madre de Dios River with jungle lodges, macaw clay licks, and mammal licks. Access would be through Puerto Maldonado or driving down and then going downriver to Tambopata.

You should also check out www.andeantravelweb.com for more information on areas and approved tour companies.

3. Re: Different jungle options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 03:15