We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manu with Panticolla

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Manu with Panticolla

I just booked a 5d/4n Manu Biosphere (land in via cloudforest and fly out) with Panticolla and recieved a 18 page document with all the dangers of the Amazon that was a bit alarming. The items that worried me the most are the botflies and constant mosquitos. They also asked if we had insurance to cover evacuations. They said that most Europeans get it, but only a small percentage of Americans do. I've seen many people on the forum write about their trip to Manu, with their family even, and none of the trips seemed to be that intense. Can someone please tell me if they felt that they were in danger in the Manu on their trip? My husband and I are seasoned travelers and we've been to Torteguero in Costa Rica and I thought it would be similar. Also, can anyone, please give us any recommendations on what we should bring besides DEET?

Thanks!

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manu with Panticolla

I went to Manu last year and I think they are just trying to cover themselves. It did not seem overly dangerous. I actually did get a maggot, must have been a botfly, but they are easy to remove. Take quick-dry clothes, no cotton, no matter what their recommendations are! Enough socks for each day. We tried to do laundry while we were there but nothing dried. The mosquitos are a problem because you are in jungle. We used 100% DEET and really did not have a problem. A girl that was in our group used 30% DEET and had over a hundred bites the first night! Wear long sleeved shirts and wear a hat every time you are outside because things drop on you from the trees. We didn't have any special insurance, we went with SAS and they never mentioned needing it. We had a great time!!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manu with Panticolla

Hi Foxisle,

Thanks for your reply. It is reassuring to hear. Did you have a problem with getting the mosquitos out of your tent every time you went in and out? How long did it take for you to realize you had a maggot? We are even looking at getting those mosquito netted hats from REI, but think it may be a bit overkill. They have that Bug Off clothing, but I may just spray my clothes with DEET.

Did you have the mosquito problems in the cloudforest on day 1? We were in the Monteverde cloudforest in Costa Rica and found it to be much cooler and with no mosquitos. Though I've read that there are mosquitos in Agua Caliente and that is supposed to be the cloudforest as well.

(BTW, we were going to use SAS for the trip since we're doing the Inca Trail with them, but they did not leave on the day we needed to go. I hope Panticolla is good.)

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manu with Panticolla

We didn't have many mosquitos in our tent. They were sealed up pretty well and we kept a rolled up towel under the door. We wore long pants and long sleeves and baseball type caps and we were fine with the spray. I did spray my clothes and I think that helped. I don't think the mosquitos are so much worse there than any other jungle-type setting. We didn't go to the cloudforest, we flew into Boca Manu and then went by river up to the Reserve Zone so I don't know anything about that. There were quite a few mosquitos in some parts of the Inca Trail and at MP so take your spray with you. For the jungle we also took quick drying travel towels that we bought at REI. They worked great, I don't think regular towels would have dried out. Take a sleeping bag liner to sleep on, the beds were fine but I never trust the linens. I didn't realize I had the maggot until a week later. I thought a spot on my stomach was a mosquito bite but then I noticed that there a definite hole that didn't close up. We had read something like 'How to survive the Amazon' before we left and it said these maggots are very common. You just put a piece of tape over the hole for 24 hrs and when you pull it off the maggot comes out with it. It worked perfectly, just like in the book. It wasn't as gross as it sounds!! Healed up fine.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
315 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manu with Panticolla

OK Foxisle, now that I am completely traumatized (bot flies!?!), did you receive anything from SAS after you booked? We got a very brief confirmation email but nothing with meeting times, supply lists, etc. I emailed them to ask, but they are very slow at replying and I haven't heard anything yet. Did they provide towels at all or do we need to bring our own? My suitcase is going to be very full, especially now that I have to bring at least 20 bottles of DEET!

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manu with Panticolla

mnsb - I think they did send us an email just before we left with the meeting time. Their website has the list of what you need and what they supply. You do need your own towel, soap, etc. A few snacks are a good idea. They feed you very well and supply plenty of water but some of the hikes are long and an energy bar keeps you going! If you use sugar substitute take enough with you for your whole trip. You will drink a lot of tea! Our guide was Jose Antonio, if you are lucky you will get him also. He was amazing - very funny and an incredible memory. He not only knew every animal, bird, insect, but he knew every American movie, who was in it, and some of the dialogue!

6. Re: Manu with Panticolla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 19:16