We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking domestic flights

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Booking domestic flights

Is it possible to book internal flights (e.g. from Lima to Cuzco) only a day in advance? Or do you have book flights much earlier (e.g. a month before).

I'm not sure about my domestic flight dates and times (I'm travelling in June) and was considering just figuring it out once I'm down there. Is this a possibility?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,362 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking domestic flights

June is the high tourist season and the flights will get quite booked and prices will get higher.

On each flight their is a number of seats with cheaper fares.

You can book on Lan.com or starperu.com or taca.com or aerocondor.com.pe

I suggest you book in advance to avoid nasty surprises with space and costs.

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking domestic flights

What would the flight situation be in October? I won't have an exact itinerary until I get to Lima and then plan on booking flights and hotels. Thanks.

austin, texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking domestic flights

also, when we booked Lan flights in December, there was only a $25 cancellation penalty. So, there's not much risk in booking (and a great deal of risk if you do not).

Edmonton, Alberta...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking domestic flights

Bump -

I am wondering if there is such thing as a flight from Iquitos to Tumbes? if not - what would be the fastest/cheapest route?

And a question totally unrelated...why are the hotel costs online (for booking) so high? 2 star hotels for $65USD? I thought we were looking at $10 - $15 per night?....what am I missing?

any advise appreciated - informative forum by the way - love it!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
35 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking domestic flights

I would not book flights, hotels or tours in advance, even in high season, except a hotel for your first nights in Lima and a hotel in Cusco for Inti Raymi (around the solstice) or if you want to stay at the Macchu Pichu Ruinas Hotel right outside the archaelogical site. But you probably won't find anything in Cusco for Inti Raymi now anyway, assuming you would want to go. Everything will be much less expensive if booked in country.

You'll need a hotel in Lima when you arrive, as the flights get in around midnight and it would be next to impossible to go from hotel to hotel in a strange city looking for a place to stay at that time of night. I suggest staying in Barranco as it is not that far from the Airport and a very pretty and safe part of the city. If you want a recommendation, let me know.

You can book a flight a day or two in advance for Cusco, which is the most problematic, as everyone goes there, and I presume that is the first place you will want to go, although not the first place I would go. There are lots of flights Lima--Cusco, Arequipa-Cusco, etc., and I've not had a problem with getting one. Just go to a travel agent when you get to Lima.

If you do have to wait a day or two in Lima, go to the National Archaelogical Museum in Pueblo Libre to get a sense of the prehistory of Peru. That'll probably take half a day, and you can easily find something else to do in the Lonely Planet or Fodor's to fill up your time. Lima is a lot nicer and more interesting than its reputation. I suggest taking a cab to Barranco, which is the nightlife area of Lima, and just strolling around.

Ditto tours. Lots of tour companies everywhere competing for business and prices are very reasonable. Just walk down the main tourist street and you will attract the touts. You should be able to get a tour anywhere the same day or the evening before.

I've travelled twice in July--high season--and have been able to easily find rooms in "name" hotels everywhere, even in Cusco. By "name hotels" I mean those in Lonely Planet and Fodor's.

As for flights to other parts, I've been able to walk up to the counter and buy tickets, although they are generally cheaper at a travel agency. I have had some trouble getting on buses, though, so buy your tickets as far in advance as possible if you are going to travel by bus--e.g. to Nazca--but wait til you get to Peru.

The one thing you will probably NOT be able to do at this date is to get a permit to walk the Inca Trail. Those are quite limited and sold out far in advance. So when you get to Cusco, take a cab to the train station that sells Macchu Picchu tickets and buy them. That''ll be an easy way to spend your first day in Cusco.

new york
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking domestic flights

If you're definite of the day you wish to leave, book in advance. I traveled in May, before high season, and tried to buy a domestic ticket a week in advance. But planes were all booked on aerocondor and I had to pay more for another airline .(Busre) Plus that plane was sold out a few days later. Lima and Cusco have more flights though, so you may get lucky

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,362 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking domestic flights

You will be surprised how booked are the flights, hotels and trains during the high season.

Travelling all the way to Peru and then finding out you cannot go to machu Picchu because the trains are full or because the flights to Cusco are full, would be a real pitty.

Personally I would never risk it !

8. Re: Booking domestic flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 04:19