We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santiago to Cusco? Machu Picchu?

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Santiago to Cusco? Machu Picchu?

We wlll leave a cruise in Valp in November and want to spend 5 -7 days around Cusco/Sacred Valley/MP.

We just booked this cruise quickly and have much research to do. We are budget travelers (yeah, even on a cruise-trust me) and can't do the expensive places that I've been reading about like Sanctuario (sorry if I misspelled it). We're retired teachers on a fixed pension (no cost of living adjustment since we retired 13 years ago either!)

So we are looking for small, inexpensive places to stay and to eat. And also we are 68 and 70 so would feel a bit weird in a hostel or we would weird out the people there!!! We still travel a lot and walk a lot - but a little slower.

Sure would appreciate your suggestions and help. This is a place we want to see before we die (like that TV show - 100 places before you die!) and this is our opportunity. You can help!

CUSCO, SAN BLAS...
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Santiago to Cusco? Machu Picchu?

Rupa Rumi Have been the jesuits monastery, is a very quiet place.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Santiago to Cusco? Machu Picchu?

Hey, thanks for the responses. I've been without a computer (bad lightning) for a few days and waiting for a tech guy who had to make two trips.

Anyway. I think we are talking about jumping ship in Lima. That's as close as we'll get to Cuzco. We'll arrive in the AM - maybe can fly to Cusco that day. We are thinking 4 nights and then flying back to FLL from Lima. That will save some $$ and there's a new airline - Spirit - with some reasonable prices right now. We will only miss 2 sea days of our cruise and we think that's a pretty good trade off.

I still don't know the geography and how to get to where we want to go - so maybe someone can guide me a bit in what order? Will we need a private guide to do 1,2, and 4?

1.Ruins around Cusco (Temple of the Sun)

2.Moray terraces and Salineras

3.Train trip to Machupicchu

4.Sacred Valley including Ollantaytambo/Urubamba/ Pisaq Market

Would love to stay in the Sacred Valley where you recommended - checked out the website - what a gorgeous place.

What about Lima? Since our plane to FLL doesn't leave until midnight, can we fly back to Lima & get a tour from noon til 7 or so on day 5?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,430 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Santiago to Cusco? Machu Picchu?

1.- The most important place to visit in Cusco city I would say is Sacsayhuaman. You can take a cab and then hire a guide right at the entrance. You should get the tourist ticket which allows you to visit most of the sites you are interested in going.

The Korikancha is right in the city of Cusco and you can also get a guide at the entrance.

2.-To go to Moray and Maras you will need to hire a car with a driver for at least the whole morning maybe around US$ 50 ? You should also visit Chinchero which is on the way.

3.-You can go by to MP on the train starting in Cusco or you can go to Ollantaytambo and catch it there.(www.orient-express.com) Better if you make the reservations ASAP.

4.- Maybe yr best bet would be to go directly to the SV upon arrival to Cusco, vist the places you want in the SV and MP and at the end go back to Cusco city for yr last night.

In Lima you can do a day trip that can be arranged at the airport. You can leave yr luggage at a place situated just as you leave the national arrival area.

I

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Santiago to Cusco? Machu Picchu?

I agree that perhaps we should start out in SV after arriving at Cusco.

I'm not sure how to get there? Is there a bus from the airport? Or should I contact a hotel/b&b and ask them to pick us up?

I would prefer to spend the 1st 3 nights in SV and the final night in Cusco.

Thanks for your answers - it's all beginning to come together.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,430 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Santiago to Cusco? Machu Picchu?

If you ask, the hotel will arrange for airport pick up.

16. Re: Santiago to Cusco? Machu Picchu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 08:28