We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One extra week in Peru

Los Angeles
3 posts
Save Topic
One extra week in Peru

Hello,

I have booked a one week trip to do Macchu Picchu/Cuzco in the beginning of July. I unexpected found that I have another week in Peru. What would you suggest I do? I am debating between doing Arequipa vs. Huarez vs. Lake Titicaca. Is any one of these better than the others?

Also, would you recommend leaving a day or two to explore Lima?

Thanks

Harini

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One extra week in Peru

With a week you have time to go to both Lake Titicaca and Arequipa. Can't comment on Huarez as didn't go there..I would take the train, Andean Explorer, first class, from Cuzco to Puno ( Lake T)..this is a full day trip and the train is a great experience. Overnight in Puno.....next day do a full day trip on the lake visiting Uros and Taquile, overnight again in Puno. Day three either bus or fly to Arequipa stopping in Sillustani for a visit. Day 4 and 5 in Arequipa, Day 6 fly to Lima and spend time there.We didn't spend any time in Lima because of the focus of our trip..instead we went to the Colca Canyon from Arequipa..you could either skip Lima and have one or two nights in the Colca.. we quite liked Arequipa..it is a lovely city and had one of the liveliest and most beautiful Plazas des Armas. Lake Titicaca was also quite worth seeing..it is enormous and varies from mediteranean feel to the reed islands. you are lucky to have the extra week! we spent 16 days in Peru and could easily have spent more.

Los Angeles
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One extra week in Peru

Thanks so much for this. Does anyone have an opinion on Huarez?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,290 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One extra week in Peru

Huaraz is locxated towards the North East of Lima, and it houses the highest andean peaks in Peru.( above 6500 meters)

Its quite nice to visit and now you can fly to Huaraz via LCBusre.com.pe

For more info on Huaraz go to :http://www.peru.info/e_ftociudadeseng.asp?pdr=724&jrq=3.2.13&ic=2&ids=4263

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
694 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One extra week in Peru

I went to Huaraz and loved it. The mountains there were the most amazing I've seen anywhere. We spent one day walking in the hills above Huaraz and one day hiking in Llanganuco National Park We did both hikes with a guide named Paulino. He has since explaned his business, which you can find at http://www.huascaran-peru.com/eng/family.htm. He was great, and took us on a hike starting at 15,000 feet.

Huaraz seemd less touched by tourism than other places we visited. It seemed like a glimpse at "real" Peru. The people were generally very friendly.

Having said all that, Arequipa and Colca Canyon were also great. If I had to choose between Huaraz and Arequipa, I'd probably go with Huaraz just because it was so much more different from the Cusco area. Either way, though, you can't go wrong.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One extra week in Peru

You might also consider a trip to the Amazon. I went last year and enjoyed it almost as much as MP! There is information on the Peru Inside Pages about shorter trips to Manu Biosphere Reserve area and costs. You will probably have a day in Lima at the end of your trip as most flights back to US leave late evening.

6. Re: One extra week in Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 20:17