We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calls to US? Phone Cards?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Calls to US? Phone Cards?

What is the best way to call the US while in Peru?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,285 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calls to US? Phone Cards?

You can buy phone cards at many places or you can go to phone cabins which are also available at the main cities.

Hotel phones are expensive.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
476 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calls to US? Phone Cards?

I used a phonebooth @ an internet shop in Lima. Rate was .40-.50 soles per minute. I believe it was a VOIP phone....

San Diego...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calls to US? Phone Cards?

Thanks very much for the information.

Alberta
Level Contributor
319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calls to US? Phone Cards?

We used the green pay phones that are located in hotel lobbies. We found that for 1 sole we could talk (to Canada) for at least one minute, whereas when we bought a phone card we bought the wrong one and through 20 soles down the drain.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calls to US? Phone Cards?

Thanks, I guess I will need to investigate more. We will be on a hiking tour and not spending much time in Hotels.

new zealand
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Calls to US? Phone Cards?

Check out www.skype.com,you use headphones and mic connected to computer.

I bought $10 credit (have to use your credit card) to call New Zealand and it was something like 0.03 cents a minute.was so cheap when I was in Peru and i still have credit.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calls to US? Phone Cards?

There are little phone shops in Cusco, sometimes with internet and sometimes just a bank of phone booths. You make your call and a meter keeps track of the time, then you pay the proprietor. It's very affordable and easy, only downside we found was they don't stay open very late, the one we used closed up at 9 pm. I didn't look for them anywhere else because we were back in Cusco every week or so and checked in then. A 10 minute call was a little over $1 and we didn't have to worry about having leftover minutes on a phone card or not having the correct phone card.

austin, texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calls to US? Phone Cards?

Just remember that not all calling cards work on all phones....we bought a lot of cards that ended up not working at our hotel...so do not buy in huge amounts unless you are sure they'll work.

Alberta
Level Contributor
319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calls to US? Phone Cards?

Even though we were not staying in the hotels we would go in to use the pay phone. Plus, the hostals that we stayed in always had the green pay phone,

10. Re: Calls to US? Phone Cards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 18:20