We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odysseys unlimited-peru

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1 post
79 reviews
Save Topic
Odysseys unlimited-peru

We are planning to travel to Peru in October of 2008 with Odysseys Unlimited.

We would appreciate feedback about this company from anyone who has used them in Peru or anywhere else.

Thank you

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,253 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odysseys unlimited-peru

For Peru I always recommend to use one of the many excellent local tour companies.

Several have very good reviews on this forum.

newport beach...
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Odysseys unlimited-peru

We have used Odysseys on two occasions- Italy and India . The Italy trip was acceptable but not exceptional, the India ( which we just returned from two weeks ago) was mediocre at best.

We went to Peru a few years ago with a company called International Expeditions, which took wonderful care of us. The guide was exceptional as well. I understand International Expeditions is used by most museums and naturalist groups.

I haven't looked at Odysseys itinerary for Peru, so I can't comment specifically on this trip. What we didn't like about their India trip was : a poorly designed itinerary ( which we couldn't judge from the brochure but figured out once we were there); three out of seven hotels were switched ( downgraded) once we were in India and a captive audience; train trips were also on second class, and the buses were extremely uncomfortable. But mostly what ruined the trip was a mediocre guide who failed to bring India alive- a country with such an interesting culture and history. IN short, we felt we did not get what we paid for. Do yourself a favor and check out International Expeditions or Tauck. Peru is a wonderful destination, you will love Machu Pichu.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odysseys unlimited-peru

There are a lot of good recommendations for tour operators on this forum if you go back a ways. You can also check other travel forums: Thorn Tree at Lonely Planet, Fodors, Frommers, igougo, virtual tourist, etc. You can't tell much about the quality of the actual service you will receive from a website or brochure, as many have discovered. These forums are the next best thing to having a trusted relative or best friend give you a recommendation!

Los Angeles, CA, USA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Odysseys unlimited-peru

Hello,

I am also traveling with Odysseys Unlimited to Peru in October. But there has been no real response to this post recently. Is there anyone out there who has experience with this trip or company? Also, did you get any feedback from any other blogs that I can refer to? Thanks to all.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odysseys unlimited-peru

We are thinking of taking the exact same trip in August '09. Would appreciate your sharing your opinions with us!

Snowmass, CO
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Odysseys unlimited-peru

We traveled to Peru and Ecuador with Odysseys Unlimited this past October '08. Their customer service was terrible. We had a significant problem with our boat in the Galapagos which Odysseys refused to do anything about it. I would never recommend using them; they have no interest in customer satisfaction.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Odysseys unlimited-peru

Wow! First, thank you for taking the time to review, but I must admit to being surprised.... and disappointed. Have you taken other trips with OU before? If so, were they as bad? If I don't go with Odysseys, my next choice was OAT. Have you used them?

Any different?

8. Re: Odysseys unlimited-peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2011, 12:21
Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Odysseys unlimited-peru

Before you book, do a search for OAT on this forum. You will see mixed reviews. Some members like their trips with OAT, some hated it & would never book with them again.

Companies that are often recommended on this forum include: Ancient Summit, Pachamama Explorers, Llama Path, Kuoda Tours, and Yure Chavez. With many of these companies, you can customized your tour to your liking -- caliber of lodgings, itinerary, etc.

After much research, I booked my entire Peru trip myself, online, except booking the Inca Trail with Llama Path (a trek operator is required for IT). We had a great, custom trip. At our request, our hotels sent drivers to pick us up from airport & train station & returned us, so that was never a problem. Rodrigo & Claudia at the Kuychi Rumi in Urubamba arranged drivers & guides for us while in the Sacred Valley (we stayed at the KR, but they will make arrangements for you regardless). His e-mail:info@urubamba.com. Trip Advisor has a wealth of information to help you plan your trip!

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Odysseys unlimited-peru

First, thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply. However, unless I am missing it, the problem with Yuri Chavez is that the tours do NOT include the Galapagos (unlike Odysseys Unlimited & OAT). We would like to do both on the same trip. So.....????