We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to machupichu with a one year old toddler

usa
4 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to machupichu with a one year old toddler

We are considering a trip to Peru with our one year old child for 5 days in Feb/March. He's a happy baby and is very adaptable n social. I looked all over but couldn't find any relevant information. Should be decide on Peru, we intend to take one of those package deals with a train ride to Machu picchu. Is Peru (cusco/machu picchu) a bad choice when travelling with young toddlers ? Please suggest

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
349 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to machupichu with a one year old toddler

I would have say, "bad idea." Visiting MP includes going up and down steep rock stairs and walking narrow trails. There are also sheer drop offs in places. So, unless you plan on climbing up and down the stairs and walking the trails with him on your back, I would repeat.... "bad idea." W-a-a-a-y too dangerous to let a toddler run free.

Viña del Mar...
Level Contributor
459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to machupichu with a one year old toddler

hi,

the first time I went to Machu Picchu I was in a group with a young family like yours (1978...wow, that toddler must be around 30y old now !) The father took him on a special backchair like a backpack all the way.

It worked.

But he must have been a very trained person, climbing up and down the steep hills with long, long stairs, seems quite tiring if you think that toddlers around 12m old weight sometimes over 10 or 11 k...

Stitches and allergy to some plants are usual in that area, mild ones if you carry your baby on your shoulders, some mosquitoes or mild urticaria, but on the floor I saw beautiful but poisonous millefeet, black with red feet. They are very nice to see, but, touching them is a different thing, and how can you keep a small baby from exploring?

Getting a diarrhea is usual in Perú, not only in infants. It's advisable to take some probiotics and solutions like Pedialyte with you, for most of them aren't bacterial infections but viral or changes in intestinal flora. Of course babies are more exposed to those, and they dehidrate easier than adults.

I'm a paediatrician, by the way...

regards,

Jdelapaz

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to machupichu with a one year old toddler

Hi having just been there - i would say not a good idea at all. Throw together hot weather and trekking on uneven surfaces, you will not have a happy baby/mom/pop during this time i would think.

usa
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to machupichu with a one year old toddler

Wow ! Thanks so much for your responses. I get the message loud and clear. Peru's ruled out then. Now we will have to think of different destination to kill 4-5 days in Feb :)

5. Re: Travelling to machupichu with a one year old toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 19:16