We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report #1 - Cusco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
332 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report #1 - Cusco

This is long overdue as I’ve been back for a month, but I wanted to drop a few lines about our perfect trip to Peru. We were a group of 6 of brothers/brother in laws and one nephew with the purpose of doing the Inca Trail thus our entire base was Cusco and the Sacred Valley.

After a few hours of delays and trying to sleep in the Lima airport we finally arrived in Cusco. We spent the afternoon just walking around the city with the highlight being the San Pedro market. A couple of us have lived in South America; so we were maybe a little more daring the others and tried some of the food and juice in the market which was fantastic. The funny result is that everybody in our group got sick at some point during the trip other than the 2 of us that bought drinks in the market; so I joked that we built up our immunity system as soon as we got there. We stayed at Rumi Punku which was a great hotel with wonderful breakfast and good location. They had free luggage storage and allowed us a late check out as my brother was ill and needed to stay in bed as much as possible before our flight home. That night we ate at Inca Grill which had very good aji de gallina, just OK alpaca steak and not quite large enough of servings for our appetites. After dinner we just had fun hanging around the Plaza de Armas.

The next day (Sunday) we hired a van to take us to Pisac for the day and paid him $70 for our group of 6. It was maybe a little on the high end based on what I’ve read, but it was a nice van and we were just pleased to be able to keep our group together. We spent around 3 hours hiking around the ruins and absolutely loved the place. We felt the altitude a couple of times, but fortunately we never experienced altitude sickness. We then headed to the market for a couple of hours to get souveniors for our families and bought some empanadas which weren’t quite as good as the Chilean version that I’m used to be still very good. We then stopped at Qenko which was unimpressive after Pisac and then Saqsaywaman. That place was amazing and we had fun going down the rock slides. That evening we were very hungry so we hit the buffet at Inca Wall with very good food other than the cuy was not very good. By now I am firmly addicted to Inka Kola.

Upon our return to Cusco on our last night we ate at Pacha Papa which had very good aji de gallina and lomo saltado. We loved Cusco and we could have spent more time there. Of course the vendors can be a little annoying, but I don’t find it any different than NYC, Paris or any other large touristy city.

Next up the Inca Trail which I will post separately.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report #1 - Cusco

Great trip reports - all have great info for our upcoming trip in November.

wolverhampton, uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report #1 - Cusco

Good report, thanks.

We must have just missed as we did the Inca Trail in early June and stayed at Rumi Punku for 4 nights. What a brilliant place.

We also ate at Pacha Papa in Plaza San Blas and thought this was probably the best for food and atmosphere. We also tried Cicciolina, Jack's and a Pizzeria in Plaza de Armas, all of which were also good. If you're not up to trying Peruvian, would definitely recommend Jack's - you can see how good it is from the queue outside!

After the Trail we had a night in Aguas Calientes and ate at India Feliz which doesn't look much from the outside but don't be fooled, it's really good.

Love to go back one day.

3. Re: Trip Report #1 - Cusco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 23:17