We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how bad are the mosquitos in the Jungle?

San Diego
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
how bad are the mosquitos in the Jungle?

We leave on Thursday for our trip where we're spending four days in the jungle at Sandoval Lodge -- just how bad are the mosquitos in June/July at that particular area?

I bought DEET products and I'm wondering if I should treat our clothes (if the bugs are bad (ticks, chiggers, etc.) when hiking on the trails --

Would we be Ok to just use the 40 percent DEET products and just wipe our face and other exposed areas while wearing long sleeves and pants? Or should I treat all the clothes and assume we'll get bitten even while wearing clothes that cover us?

I've read to use 100 percent DEET which is very powerful - I have kids and don't want to use it on them unless the bugs are really annoying.

Any advice on the bugs would be great -- we've been to Alaska and I'm originally from MI so I know mosquitos --

Midway, UT
Level Contributor
160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how bad are the mosquitos in the Jungle?

I'm not sure about the area you are travelling to but we were in Manu in mid-May & I can tell you what we found there. The mosquitos were not bad but the sandflies were nasty, nasty, nasty. Best advice I can give is to cover yourself with clothing, long sleeve shirts, long pants and tuck your pants into some long socks. It looks pretty dorky but it does cut down on bites!! We took high powered deet but it pretty much just sweats off immediately anyway plus it can ruin your clothes, packs, camera gear and anything else it comes in contact with. You may also want to consider those mosquito head coverings, that way you'll be 100% covered and not have to worry too much aboout bites.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how bad are the mosquitos in the Jungle?

DEET is quite safe and has been in use since the 1950's. It will dissolve plastics so people think it is dangerous but it is not. It is safe to use on children as young as 2 months. It is much safer than being bitten by mosquitos. The difference in percentages alludes to how long it lasts, not how strong it is. It is not designed for long term use, such as for months. DEET is for skin application, use should use pyrethrins for clothing. Here is a link for information.

epa.gov/pesticides/…deet.htm

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how bad are the mosquitos in the Jungle?

I got massacred while I was in Puerto Maldondo.

We used DEET spray when we were out hiking on all parts of our skin that was showing. We didn't get bitten through our clothes.

But I thought I would be safe in our room and had an afternoon nap after i had a shower. I woke an hour later to find my legs covered in bites.

If you do get bitten, I found that they healed quicker with antiseptic cream.

4. Re: how bad are the mosquitos in the Jungle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 09:22