We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Things for the Kids

Miami
Level Contributor
122 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Things for the Kids

We will be doing 4 days on the Amazon and then 10 days on land next week. One of the highlights of any trip we take is giving to the children. I have purchased toothbrushes/toothpaste, jump ropes, shirts and candy. I know that everyone says no candy, but I still believe kids are kids and a tootsie pop from a passing tourist now and then isn't going to give them rotten teeth, but I know it will put a smile on their face. My question is where would be best to give these items out? Would the Amazon be a better place because of the remoteness or should we spread it out along the way?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Things for the Kids

I am strongly against candy... yes it brings a smile to their face - and you get short term benefit out of that... but the long term effects are a lot greater - a begging mentality to every tourist that goes past.

see this page

apus-peru.com/responsible_tourism_detail.htm

also

http://www.apus-peru.com/faqs.htm#gifts

if you give out gifts where people have given before, then at least you wont be affecting remote communiites.

I dont mean to be harsh in what I say but you need to seriously consider the effects of giving gifts. there is definately short term joy in it for you - but the longer term benefits to the communities are dubious.

Lima
Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Things for the Kids

During the Xmas season, a couple of years ago I had the chance to see a group of tourist delivering some presents to the kids of the Santa María de Ojeal near Iquitos. They gave them school supplies, soccer and volley balls, small toys for the littler ones and sweet rolls. One of the guys in the group told me that they had purchased all these presents in Iquitos with the help of their travel agency and had spent a lot less than what they would have spent if brought from their own country. They also spared the hussle of flying and passing through customs with all that stuff. Just a suggestion, I am sure the Amazon boys and girls will appreciate whatever you give them and they will reward you with a grateful sincere smile. Bye!

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
573 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Things for the Kids

I recently saw a posting on trip advisor - not sure which forum exactly - maybe Amazon specific ? - from a tourist just back from this region who had been shocked by the poverty - barefoot kids literally in rags . They advised bringing t shirts - and had given kids most of their clothes .

4. Re: Bringing Things for the Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 18:17